U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 25,686 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have a couple tree stumps (diameter ~ 0.5-1 ft; maple trees) right next to my house. They are still alive. As the rains are still going on, shoots are coming up. But that may be not my concern as I can always cut the shoots. My concern is the damage the roots may cause to my house. So, I don't know I should kill those stumps (such as using Roundup, Epson salt, mulch) or leave them alive so that their roots still support the foundation if they are already down there.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 PM

40,482 posts, read 50,156,090 times
If the roots were to support the house foundation then that would be a very poorly built house. If the trees are very close to the house, under 10 feet, then you should consider eliminating them because as they grow and the roots grow larger and further out you could possibly endure some roots damaging the concrete areas around/near the trees. Now is the time to dig them out or destroy the stumps with a stump remover or grinding them down.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 AM

20,347 posts, read 22,604,964 times
If it's got shoots it means it's alive and still growing

You can rent a stump grinder and grind it down

I take a long drill bit and drill a bunch of holes. Use rock salt to fill the holes then put some tape over the holes. Cover the stump with a bag, it will take a while but it will die.

Take a long drill bit drill holes and then fill the holes with gasoline or kerosene. Let it soak in well abpnd light it in fire to burn it. Not sure just how close to the house the stump is so this method may not work

Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks all. I am in North Carolina and so it looks like that trees right next to a house are common.

My concern is if I take away those stumps (or let the stumps and roots rotted), will there be any holes (especially those underneath the house) that may cause damages to the house? If so, what should I do?

In addition, given the very small distance (<25 in, see pic attached) from the stumps to my house, should I take immediate action to remove the stumps or can I cover them with mulch (or pine needles) and let them rotted naturally?
Attached Thumbnails
Kill or not kill tree stumps next to a house?-img_0732.jpg  

Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Natural dying/decaying of the stumps will take several years At the present the roots under the foundation are so small as to have any significant damage. As the roots rot away soil movement will fill the small cavities in. Nothing to ever worry about.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Thanks Wit-nit. So your advice is to take immediate action to kill the stumps and roots? Using chemical like Roundup is good or should I use Epson salt? Someone on internet also suggests using cooking oil, sugar, ... How do you think? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM

16,014 posts, read 12,813,174 times
You could rent the stump grinder as recommended by Electrician4you in post #3. Or; you can simply dig down a feet inches below soil level and then cut the stump off again. Then fill in the hole so that you do not see the stump. If suckers start to come up; simply prune them off or use one of the weed whackers. Eventually the stump and roots will die.

But it all depends on what you want. If you want to plant shrubs, where the stumps are, you might want to go the route of the stump grinder. If you are not going to plant and just don't like the looks of the stumps; you might want to do the below grade cutting. I always save an old, well used, chainsaw blade to cut below grade. I don't want to hit any rocks with newer chains.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM

29,921 posts, read 65,792,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt2015 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a couple tree stumps (diameter ~ 0.5-1 ft; maple trees) right next to my house.
Dig em out or grind them down. In June or July.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Thank you everyone. As the stumps are very close to the house, I think I will go with the chainsaw/axe solution.

By the way, it's raining season in North Carolina. So, I think that it's now a good time to dig them out as the soil is soft after heavy rains. Do you think so? MrRational, could you please tell me why June or July is a good time?

Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Round-up has no effect on stumps. Use a stump removing chemical which speeds up the decaying process, usually found at local nursery or garden centers.
But grinding is the best and fastest way. One day it's all done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or