U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,874 posts, read 58,058,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't understand why your newspapers didn't work. My mother always used a thick layer of newspapers and then only needed to weed right nest to the plants.
I have found newspaper to work too, but only for that one season. It has to be thick, at least 1/2" layers and then 2-3" of bark or wood chips. Finer mulch will enable seeds to grow. The weed cloth fabric at the home centers and nurseries works great as long as you replace the bark/chips every few years as it breaks down. Weed cannot come up through it, but seeds will germinate in decaying bark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM

72,476 posts, read 55,494,930 times
Newspapers works if there aren't a ton of weeds. It was horrible for me. it breaks down too fast.

Here's what I do for the garden beds. Like I said I used weed blocker for around foundation beds. Both methods work perfectly. Except the weed blocker will last longer. Many Years vs just 1 but I don't mind doing this each year for the veggie garden.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 AM

733 posts, read 688,616 times
I'm not sure waxed paper, alone, will work. Not even parchment paper, alone, will work. For one thing, light goes thru it.

What about hiring a professional landscaping outfit to spray? They have access to sprays and equipment you don't. Expensive, but do it once, get them under control, then try other ways to control the new ones.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 AM

451 posts, read 406,915 times
I tried something different one year that really helped a lot. At the end of the season when it was time to clean out the garden for winter, I pulled everything out. Then I put down some tar paper we had left-over from some from roofing we had done.

The weight and blackness killed everything.

In the spring, I threw out the tar paper, put in some fresh weed-stop and planted a new garden. (It worked).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden