U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM

2,742 posts, read 2,233,668 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to renovate my lawn as cheaply as possible. Last year I had lots of clumps of tall fescue and I killed all of it in the early winter with roundup (hopefully I didn't jump the gun and kill the Bermuda too).

Lawn is supposed to be Bermuda but the sod was installed during the hottest part of the summer and I didn't get a chance to water it when I moved into the house due to a missing hose while unpacking.

1 part of the lawn has a lot of bare spots and the Bermuda is just starting to turn green with the warmer weather but I'm seeing small clumps of a taller grass that starts with red shoots. When I dig them out, the larger pieces of grass have a bulb like root (kinda similar to a green onion) with thick fleshy runners where the smaller red shoots emerge.

I suspect they might be Johnson grass but wanted to get some more opinions based on my description. I don't like digging them out and disturbing the soil but I think there's no other way. I think it might be too late to use roundup.

The pictures of young johnson grass that I've found on google image search don't seem to have red shoots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,586,363 times
Kinda like this?

Bio Bullies, Johnson Grass, Sorghum Halapense
http://www.naturalbiodiversity.org/b...on%20Grass.pdf

The pdf wouldn't let me copy & paste the photo. Nice pink stem right there.

Here is a baby Johnson, little pinkie

Crabgrass also has a red stem,

And then there is this:

"Johnsongrass, the latest entry to the lengthening list of glyphosate-resistant weeds — in both Arkansas and Mississippi — was announced in mid-March. It is the first glyphosate-resistant warm-season grass found in the United States."

Glyphosate-resistant johnsongrass in Mid-South | [primary-term] content from Delta Farm Press

Old 04-23-2015, 05:48 AM

Thanks, azoria... that's it.

Yes it looks like the Johnson grass "pinkie", but where I have one, there's usually a handful of little shoots in a stand about 1 ft in diameter. So far I've dug out 2 stands. Hopefully I got all traces of it (I doubt it) within each stand.

I have an empty lot across the street with Johnson grass, and I'm guessing those seeds got blown over to my lawn. I did not have any Johnson grass last year.

I guess the gly resistant johnsongrass was going to happen sooner rather than later. I'm going to bet that I don't have gly resistant johnson though since I don't live anywhere near a farm. in my area we only grow rocks and cattle on a large scale.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:38 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,586,363 times
You really should take a look at the Bio Bullies link, you'll see a fat pink wad of Johnson grass stems and a nice description, I have fought this plant before and lost. You might want to consider keeping the plot across the street mowed so that stuff has a reduced chance of getting into your yard. You'll never get rid of it.

"Johnson grass
is one of the 10 most
noxious weeds in the
world. It reproduces
quickly, and its seeds can
stay viable for up to 20 years"

Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Yes I read the bio bullies article.

Every time I put down pre-emergent I get so much rain that it all washes away. I'll try to stay on top of it, looking for the tall shoots between mowings.

I'm sure the disturbed dirt will germinate crabgrass so it will quickly become a losing battle for another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden