U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,380,973 times

Advertisements

Zone 5- I have 5 spots for large shrub/s and/or small tree/s, maximum 12' tall. I need suggestions for full sun, must tolerate varying degrees of wind, soil is good/healthy but can be amended to suit as needed.

Any flowers or berries produced must not be poisonous/dangerous to dogs.
Fall and/or winter color is welcomed.
No spireas, azaleas, boxwood, or lilacs.

Context: when I bought my house there was an ENORMOUS dying silver maple that totally overwhelmed the backyard. I dropped it about 4 years ago and have been waiting for the remainder of the stump to rot out. This is the year I focus on making my backyard wonderful. The area is fenced, so deer aren't an issue (in the backyard at least).

Look I am going for is lush, loose, country, natural, cottage-y.

I have my own ideas, but would appreciate hearing your suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM

39,410 posts, read 48,427,476 times
I had a beautiful Rose of Sharon in zone 5. It flowered in late summer, when other things were pooped out, and it didn't require any care.
When I think of cottagey, I picture snow ball viburnum. With full sun, you have a wealth of choices.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM

20,874 posts, read 9,445,624 times
A shrub rose hardy in your area.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had a beautiful Rose of Sharon in zone 5. It flowered in late summer, when other things were pooped out, and it didn't require any care.
When I think of cottagey, I picture snow ball viburnum. With full sun, you have a wealth of choices.
The snow ball viburnum will definitely work in at least one area, and I love that it is so indestructible and easy to shape. Good suggestion.
Rose of Sharon is a possibility, but I've never found one yet that I felt I had to have. I bet the hummingbirds would love them though so Rose of Sharon just made the list!
Thank you!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A shrub rose hardy in your area.
As much as I love shrub roses, they just aren't dog friendly so they can't go in the backyard However, I think there may be a spot for them in the front gardens- putting on list.
Good suggestion, thank you!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:44 AM

208 posts, read 201,457 times
I do not like Rose of Sharon because they are invasive. I bought a house that had a "forest" of them in the back and they were starting to migrate farther and farther out of the garden bed. I had to chop them all down but the babies kept sprouting up everywhere. It was like a living hell every year to control them.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,330,530 times
LOL! We have Rose of Sharon - also zone 5. They are not invasive at all. We get very few of what you call 'babies'. They also do not draw the hummers in our experience... they chose other things in our yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or