U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 PM

16,091 posts, read 33,358,959 times

Advertisements

Elnina, the one in your photo is also L.lucidum, notice the stiff leaves with the pronounced crease. They grow to be very large, I had a huge one that was cut down about five years ago, and I'm still finding seedlings from it.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/ligu_luc.cfm

Japanese Privet L.japonicum is one of the least invasive privets in my opinion, and the only one I'd recommend anyone actually plant. They usually have softer leaves with a more rounded tip, and they generally don't produce as many berries.
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/a...rum-japonicum/

Chinese Privet (L.sinense) is by far the WORST one of all. They have small dull one inch leaves, and it's the one you see invading the entire southeast, particularly moist bottomland type areas.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 04-25-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 AM

795 posts, read 4,076,049 times
Thanks, everyone! Learning about privet has been VERY interesting. I love this bush/shrub/hedge/tree? (hedge at my house), think it smells great, and have been trying to figure out what it is for years. I have never seen one before I don't think (I'm basing that on the fact that I'm sure I've never smelled one before), and I'm an NC native. Now I learn it's roughly the equivalent of kudzu. Oh, noes!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:22 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,063,271 times
just going to say I fought privet and kudzu in my atlanta garden for decades. I do not like privet.of. any. kind.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:42 PM

16,091 posts, read 33,358,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
just going to say I fought privet and kudzu in my atlanta garden for decades. I do not like privet.of. any. kind.
My land used to be infested with Chinese Privet, it was so thick in some areas you couldn't even walk through it. It took me almost a whole decade to clear it out by hand, and it's amazing the amount of native plants I see coming back now that it's gone.

I do have one Japanese Privet however that has been here for over 40 years, and I never find seedlings from it. I don't know why it behaves so differently than its Chinese relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or