U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 239,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We suit up for our warfare. Long sleeves, rubber/latex gloves, sock tops cut off at the heel to cover any possible bare wrist skin between shirt and gloves. We carefully pull up each plant running along the ground. Where roots are unwilling to come out of the ground we cut the vine off the root nodes and use a small paint brush in a cup of Round-up and paint the root. I pull the vines and my DH who is very sensitive, holds the heavy trash bag/s that we fill with the detached vines.

For vines in trees we cut the vine at the base near the ground and paint the stump with Round-up. If the vine is small, I will pull it from the tree. If the vine is extensive. I will let it wither and die after cutting from it's roots on the tree. We also search the area for lateral ground runners and take care of them. Every spring we patrol for "turds" or small plants growing from seed excreted by birds. Those pull up nicely. A stitch in time.

I am very much against indiscriminate use of chemicals or using more than needed but there is no really good organic method for this stuff. Our method works without overuse of toxic chemicals. Poison ivy is the devil to get under control once it's gotten out of hand. We are working on about 3 acres up by the house and have most of the once infested area cleared. We are working on mop up operations and will begin to tackle the cleared tree line along the pasture next.

We clean up our tools with rubbing alcohol which cuts the volatile oils. Be very careful undressing so as to not contaminate yourself with the irritant that is likely on your clothing. We shower immediately after clearing poison ivy. Never burn poison ivy. The life you save might be your own.
This is extremely helpful, thank you. I have poison ivy going up a tree, which I don't want to kill, and it's spread to all the surrounding area. Honestly, there is so much overgrowth and weeds in the gardens (and we're new to all this) I didn't even know I had any and now I realize I have tons of it. And my husband appears to have gotten some on him already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM

35,147 posts, read 44,980,501 times
My oldest daughter, who has a woodlot of about an acre totally taken over by poison and English ivy behind her house, and I were just talking about me going over and starting to get rid of it.

She said, "No Dad, don't worry about it. There's a woman near me who rents out her goats just for getting rid of poison ivy".

Apparently she brings the goats up with a portable pen and just moves it around the affected area until they've eaten it all.

I know it sounds weird but you might want to see if anyone around you does that.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

26,408 posts, read 30,703,983 times
Eco-Goats : Got Invasives? Get Goats!

Loved the "goats fertilize as they graze"!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM

2,460 posts, read 2,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My oldest daughter, who has a woodlot of about an acre totally taken over by poison and English ivy behind her house, and I were just talking about me going over and starting to get rid of it.

She said, "No Dad, don't worry about it. There's a woman near me who rents out her goats just for getting rid of poison ivy".

Apparently she brings the goats up with a portable pen and just moves it around the affected area until they've eaten it all.

I know it sounds weird but you might want to see if anyone around you does that.
We have joked that if we had a goat, they would be very fat off all we could feed it! I just changed my strategy the other day from a vinegar, salt and dawn solution to pulling and following up with brush killer. I found it had spread further then last year even with me cutting all the vines I could find in the winter. I am going to do a second round of pulling and spraying soon because I trying to find any runners I did not catch the fist time. It is a highly frustrating situation!

BTW, one thing I did discover about the vinegar, salt and dawn solution is that it seems to be very effective on honeysuckle. We back to woods where it is widespread and the previous owners even planted some in a few spots which I have been trying to get rid of, it is so invasive. The solution does not seem to work on greenbrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden