U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM

5,075 posts, read 8,946,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
It is exactly what I started to do this past week. I was amazed to see how fast the Vitamix broke down the lemon peels in water... instanteous! The city would loan me a compost bin but it's too large for the very small space I call a backyard. As for the pulverizing, I figure it's much better than whole scraps left laying in the corner enticing critters I don't want hanging out back there.
You won't need a very large bin to compost kitchen scraps. Especially if you're shredding them, they'll break down to 1/10th their volume in weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 01:40 PM

75,264 posts, read 87,676,442 times
I don't use them on the lawn, but from mid Feb until late Mar or early April I save the scraps, cut them as small as possible, break up things like egg shells and save coffee grounds. They to into our veggie garden just before the last layer of soil. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel good and I think it makes our garden feel good as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,066,765 times
IMO life is too short to be putting garbage in a blender to make fertilizer. Just bury the scraps, cover with soil, and let nature take its time to decompose the stuff.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:17 PM

40,491 posts, read 50,171,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
IMO life is too short to be putting garbage in a blender to make fertilizer. Just bury the scraps, cover with soil, and let nature take its time to decompose the stuff.
And keep an eye out for all the critters that come along digging up your garden.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:37 PM

72,381 posts, read 55,419,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And keep an eye out for all the critters that come along digging up your garden.
If it's done right, you wont have critters. Anyone know what Lobster scrap smells like?
STRONG! My compost is out in the open, no barrel, not even a gate around it.

Leaves, Grass, Manure, Kitchen Scrap. With any kitchen scrap you have to dig a hole first and then cover it. Done.

I thought for sure Lobster scrap odor would come through... Didn't.

I live in a woodsy area and haven't had a critter issue. I agree, waste of time blending it.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:54 AM

75,264 posts, read 87,676,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We are lucky, most of our garden, now raised is fenced in. We use our old dog run and it keeps all those varments away. I will say though, until this year, we had once part of the garden outside the fence and the only 4 legged creatures we had to chase away were our own dogs and the rabbits. But the rabbits only came visiting to eat the good stuff, never dug up the garbage. Our dogs on the other hand, until the garden got really growing thought the kitchen scraps were their treat for the week or day or even hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or