Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,472 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have some fruit trees and i was told by someone to spray them NOW as the buds are growing in order to avoid pests and damaged fruits later this summer.

Can someone verify this?
Also, what do fruit trees need to be sprayed with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:12 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,879,107 times
spray after they flower to avoid poisoning the bees

i use some sort of tree pest killer stuff you mix with water and apply with a sprayer

Old 05-10-2015, 01:55 AM

3,477 posts, read 3,166,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
spray after they flower to avoid poisoning the bees

i use some sort of tree pest killer stuff you mix with water and apply with a sprayer

I agree. When the last petals have dropped is when you spray.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,628,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKMAN1 View Post
Hi,
I have some fruit trees and i was told by someone to spray them NOW as the buds are growing in order to avoid pests and damaged fruits later this summer.

Can someone verify this?
Also, what do fruit trees need to be sprayed with?
This all depends on

1) your location
2) which fruits you are growing

Contact your county extension agent, they will give you the best advice. If you can't find a listing, contact your library.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,278,112 times
I'm surprised that you are behind us, we have already set fruit. Growing up in California on 1/2 acre with over 40 fruit trees we sprayed 3-4 times a year back in the 60s. Since having my own property the last 35 years or so I have not done any spraying on fruit trees, and have not had any major issues with pests or disease. Even when we had some tent caterpillar activity I simply cut off the branch ends with the nests and burned them.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
It's too late for some sprays and maybe too early for others. You use a dormant oil spray when they go dormant and copper spray for fungus is done while they are dormant.

You don't spray insecticide until flowers are all finished.

With my apples, I start spraying for coddling moth as soon as blooms are done. But for most pests I wait until I see the pest before I spray.

What type of fruit and what are you spraying for? Where are you located? That affects what pests you have to spray for.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,651,417 times
Does anyone just let their fruit trees go natural? Am I playing with fire? I am paranoid to use anything which would not be considered organic except DE (I'm not sure if that is organic or not).

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Does anyone just let their fruit trees go natural? Am I playing with fire? I am paranoid to use anything which would not be considered organic except DE (I'm not sure if that is organic or not).
Dormant oil spray and copper spray are both Mother Earth News organic. There are clay sprays to coat fruit that are organic.

Whether or not you can raise fruit without spraying depends upon where you live. I have to spray apples but I don't spray my peaches apricots or plums. I bought a bare root nectarine that had peach leaf curl and had to copper spray that one and its next door neighbor peach tree for two winters, but other than that, my stone fruit just gets dormant oil spray.

If you are on the east coast, it will be hard work to get fruit without spraying. You'll have to use more tricks than just DE.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:38 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,992,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dormant oil spray and copper spray are both Mother Earth News organic. There are clay sprays to coat fruit that are organic.

Whether or not you can raise fruit without spraying depends upon where you live. I have to spray apples but I don't spray my peaches apricots or plums. I bought a bare root nectarine that had peach leaf curl and had to copper spray that one and its next door neighbor peach tree for two winters, but other than that, my stone fruit just gets dormant oil spray.

If you are on the east coast, it will be hard work to get fruit without spraying. You'll have to use more tricks than just DE.
I use the dormant oil sprays religiously. But it is important to apply before the buds come out.

I don't like to spray with products like Seven, but if I don't spray, I have inedible fruit. It is very important for me to apply the first and sometimes my only application of Seven or similar spray right after all the petals drop off. I found, that if I do not spray, small insect bites in small fruit, produce very large deformities in the mature fruit. I can live with some blemishes and small bites in mature apples and pears; but I do want large fruit that looks somewhat what it is supposed to look like.

So, I guess, it all depends on the expectations of the fruit tree owner. If you don't mind sharing; share your fruit. If you don't mind not perfect, but do want something that looks like the fruit that you imagined; then use the dormant oils and maybe only one or two applications of insecticide. If you want perfect, store quality, fruit; then you might want to consider consecutive applications of sprays that are recommended for your particular trees.

PS Lately, especially my pear trees, are showing the first signs of fire blight. That is all over my area. The copper dormant spray is important; but it is also important to prune off the affected limbs and remove them a safe distance from the trees. There is always something to worry about. You win your battle with insects and blight and then the squirrels come and take more than their fair share!

Last edited by fisheye; 05-12-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden