U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM

5,927 posts, read 5,658,764 times

Advertisements

I moved to NC 4 years ago.

When I work in my yard, I get small bumps on my hands. About 12 hours after yardwork they appear, then they start to swell just a bit. AFter another 12 hours or so, they are quite hard, and seem to increase in number. maybe an eighth of an inch in diameter. If they get bumped, or I press on them or attempt to pop them, they flatten out, still smaller than a quarter of an inch, and get cherry red, but it don't seem to go away faster. They don't really itch, but the swelling creates a bit of pressure so the hurt a bit. Usually last 4-5 days.

I work in a library so doing storytime, checking out books and taking fines makes me conscious of how they look. I put bandaids on my hands. They don't seem at all contagious.

They are not mosquito bites or chiggers. Only ever on my hands. I don't get them anywhere but my own yard. Not walking around the neighborhood or hiking anywhere. Never had this before I move to NC.

Monday I wore gloves for a fair bit of my yardwork but it didn't help. I raked a bit, cut some branches off a dying holly tree and a hemlock. I wore the gloves when handling the holly. Moved it all to the curb for pick up.

I wasn't digging in dirt or brushing against live greens except for the hemlock which was minimal contact, and I haven't ever cut the hemlock before.

Any ideas? seems pointless to see a dermatologist because they'll just treat the symptoms. Steroid cream doesn't help, nor does bug bite remedy cream or gel. Some kind of warts maybe?

I can try bug spray on my hands, i guess. I would also consider an insecticide spray of the yard if something specific could be identified.

I had poison ivy last summer, so that has made me paranoid. I don't want to start avoiding my yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,275,380 times
I live in Tennessee and I get the SAME thing...plus other bug bites that drive me insane with itch... AND I never see them..I put the bug deterrent on but it does NOTHING....love sitting outside in the summer and this has got me really disenchanted.....

Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,498,510 times
Beings that they are only on your hands, and wearing gloves did not help, I don't think it is bugs.
It could be some sort of allergic reaction to something.
Not warts....warts take up residence for a long long time.
I don't think it is hives, those will go away after a few hours, but hives happen with allergic reactions.
Check webMD, they have a lot of pictures of different skin conditions. Might help you narrow it down.
Could also consider taking some benedryl (sp?) after working in the garden and see if that reduces the outbreak.

Just had a thought, don't know how it would have happened or what you can do about it, but perhaps there is fiberglass in your yard that has been broken down into micro fibers. That stuff can be nasty.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,473,406 times
See a local doctor.

uh

Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 PM

40,625 posts, read 50,613,085 times
Chiggers.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,709,542 times
More than likely it is chiggers.
Get a product called "Seven" or something similiar and put it all over your lawn, it will kill a lot of the bugs that reside in your lawn.

It could also be fleas and the Seven will help with that as well.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:46 PM

5,927 posts, read 5,658,764 times
I grew up in NC. I've had chiggers. Chiggers love crotches, not hands! Plus they really itch, and these bumps do not. Pictures of flea bites are a really good match, but they don't pinch like fleabites I've had before, or itch afterwards.

I forgot to say, I don't have any lawn. Not one blade of grass. It's all wooded, I have planted/mulched beds or groundcover of one kind or another, interrupted by gravel walks or mulched pathways.

I would love to use insecticide, but it kills the fireflies. What kind of person kills fireflies?

Oral Benadryl might work better than Benadryl cream........esp if it is some sort of allergic reaction. I'm highly allergic to hibiscus plants, but other than that, I have no other weird allergies. I'll look that up, as well as pollen dermatitis.

Fiberglass is an interesting idea, but I agree it is unlikely. I've had fiberglass insulation bits in my skin, and that hurts.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,709,542 times
With the new information disregard my post, sorry.

When I was a child the chiggers loved any area of the body that was in the grass like, bare feet, ankles, calves, hands, elbows, knees, back of knees etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or