U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 AM

594 posts, read 1,363,616 times

Advertisements

We bought our house almost two years ago, so I am still working on the yard. Previous owner did some basic things, but I am working to make it one of the best in the 'hood. I seem to have large patches of clover in the backyard. Is there a direct way to get rid of it? Is there a spray or fertilizer that works better than another? I fertilize in early spring and about mid summer. Aerate early fall and over seed.
By the way, this is Knoxville, east Tennessee if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Wayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:48 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,234,950 times
We always had a mix of grass seed and clover when planting lawns. Why would you want to get rid of clover? It's actually good for your lawn.

5 Steps to a Better Back Yard | Rodale's Organic Life

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,672,992 times
Clover is great for your soil because the roots add nitrogen!!! Moreover, it only gets about 3-4 inches high so you don't have to mow it if you're lucky enough to get it to spread all over your lawn. Finally, it's much more drought-resistant than turf grass, so when it gets dry in summer, your lawn will still be green even without watering.

Oh, did I mention that bees love the flowers? I never have a problem with my veggies pollinating because my clover apparently attracts all the bees in my neighborhood to my yard.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 AM

20,745 posts, read 9,384,866 times
You want to buy nitrogen fertilizer and also buy a poison to kill a nitrogen-producing lawn plant?????

Why do you think that makes sense?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,148,498 times
Leave the clover alone! Honey bees depend on it, as do small white butterflies; both necessary to neighborhood pollination.
Way back when the Scott Poison Company was trying out thier various "fertilizers" they noticed that the result was the death of clover plants. Hey, Scott said, we'll just call it a weed, like we *meant* to kill it. And thus, clover was slandered since the '50s. We know better today. (I hope!)

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM

7,261 posts, read 8,987,314 times
Maybe if you add more nitrogen fertilizer to the lawn the grasses will be able to over-run the clover. You could do a soil test and see if the soil is somewhat nitrogen poor, which could be giving an advantage to the clover. Just an idea to run by your local expert.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM

2,120 posts, read 5,634,546 times
I learned something here. Thanks for all the Info about benefits of clovers. The flowers are great source of food for the rabbits as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM

950 posts, read 750,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Leave the clover alone! Honey bees depend on it, as do small white butterflies; both necessary to neighborhood pollination.
Way back when the Scott Poison Company was trying out thier various "fertilizers" they noticed that the result was the death of clover plants. Hey, Scott said, we'll just call it a weed, like we *meant* to kill it. And thus, clover was slandered since the '50s. We know better today. (I hope!)
I know of no weed killer that can be used in lawns that won't kill clover.

" weed"............yes, any plant growing where it is not wanted is a "weed"

Thus, if one desires no clover in their lawn, clover is a weed.

Even corn is a " weed" if it is growing in a soybean field.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:36 PM

248 posts, read 251,076 times
Send your clover here! I've been adding clover to our lawn for the last two years, hoping it will spread aggressively. It doesn't have to be fertilized, bees like it (we need the bees for our apple trees), it doesn't need to be mowed much, doesn't need to be super babied with water to germinate and tolerates dog pee and grubs better than grass. Plus, it's pretty, it's fun to lie on the lawn and search for four leaf clovers.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:50 AM

72,408 posts, read 55,431,334 times
After reading about the benefits of Clover I decided not to get rid of all of it. I just have too much.

I tried 2 products. Ortho and RoundUp.

Here is the area I sprayed the Ortho Weed Be Gone Crabgrass Control which says to kill clovers, not grass. It not only took twice as long to finally kill the clover but its leaving a "brownish" mark. May have killed some grass too. This is 2 weeks later.

And here is the area I sprayed the Round-Up Weed killer for lawns. Took 2 days to start noticing the clover kill. After a week they shriveled and died. This is 2 weeks later. Impressive. Just need a little Fall grass overseeding now.

Guess I should of done a before and after pic. Oh well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or