Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM

54 posts, read 89,422 times

Advertisements

I did some yard work in my yard for the first time since I moved. I trimmed a pine tree (via sawzall), cut what I think is thick wisteria off the same tree, and pulled/cut what I thought was Virginia creeper off a fence. See below:

I was foolishly wearing short sleeves. Two days later I have the worst itchy rash on my arms. Is the fence vine actually poison ivy or do I have a bad allergy to one of the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
The fence is poison ivy. "Leaves in three's, let it be". Virginia creeper has five leaflets, if I recall. Those thread like appendages on the stems are a give-away for poison ivy.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Advice to remove it? Tyvek suit and mask? I'm afraid I'm going to hit it with the weed whacker or mower. I may just pay someone to do it. Worst itch I've ever had...

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,200 times
It's easy to remove it if you take precautions. How to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Plants (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
OP, you can take some benedryl or go get a shot at the doctor. If you've had a huge exposure, you could be in for it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
I have a farm and some of the trees had big vines of poison ivy when I moved in. Luckily, I found someone who was not allergic to remove it. Yes, there are some people who have never been allergic to poison ivy for some reason. This guy just went over cut it off and yanked it down! And never had a bit of trouble. So you might search for such a person to help you out.

Otherwise be very careful because even the dust from it can get on you, in your eyes, etc. That is why you don't want to burn it--even the fumes can have particles that are still allergenic.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,388 times
My husband had it so bad from touching the trees like that..it lasted a long time too...I bought some wash to wash BEFORE and after he does yard work for the next time......he had to have a steroid shot..it went all through his system...he just had it the other day in a few spot...we had woods all around the house and I know we have sumac too..be careful...

Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Even if it's not poison ivy and is Virginia Creeper get rid of it. I've been at war with creeper for a couple decades. It's a stalemate.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the info and awesome DIY guide on PI removal. I may still price having someone do it for me, will see. I found an industrial size Roundup container the last owner left in the shed. I guess that's a clue.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Here is the best way to get your body cured and forget all those other remedies even the doctor. Buy a bar of Octagan soap and take a good bath with it for two or three days. Octagan has been around for a hundred years and is still being sold in the rural areas. It is a brown soap with lye as one of the ingredients. I keep it at home all the time in case of a flare up. My wife has very tender skin and has used it a number of times without any problems. Also I had a Boy Scout troop for eight years and summer camp each year I would issue a half of a bar to each boy to bathe with while in camp. It worked for eight years except for one boy that did not like the smell of the soap.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden