Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times

Advertisements

Hi all well I got hit by fungus gnats apparently in a bag of potting mix . everything is dead including my tomatoes so miracle grow aka scots got a scathing nasty email and phone call from me but they are making it good . Including reimbursing me for my tomatoes ....Im done for this season maybe next year and all will be good ...NO MORE MIRACLE GROW in this house at all . all my tomatoes and peppers are gone gone gone ...Im so disappointed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,286,191 times
I'm sorry to hear that you've lost everything. I didn't know they were harmful, I have them as well. I'm going to let everything dry out completely, that's supposed to help get rid of them.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi all well I got hit by fungus gnats apparently in a bag of potting mix . everything is dead including my tomatoes so miracle grow aka scots got a scathing nasty email and phone call from me but they are making it good . Including reimbursing me for my tomatoes ....Im done for this season maybe next year and all will be good ...NO MORE MIRACLE GROW in this house at all . all my tomatoes and peppers are gone gone gone ...Im so disappointed .
I am so, so, so sorry. Mine is just completely in and I just have to hope the same thing doesn't happen. Yes, I used almost all Miracle Grow. Are you going to start over or just say good bye this year?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:26 PM

im just going to say goodbye to this year . My heart is not in it anymore now for this year . I may just wait until I have outside space . My heart just sunk and yes they go after your roots in your soil they will lay eggs in your soil and you may never see them but your plants will be eaten under the soil they eat the roots under the soil . im so sick over it . thanks all .

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you've lost everything. I didn't know they were harmful, I have them as well. I'm going to let everything dry out completely, that's supposed to help get rid of them.
No Im sorry to say that will not get rid of them you have to throw everything away and including your soil and buy every thing new including your plants im sorry to tell you . but would you not want to know the truth . good luck to you .

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,691,780 times
Oh no, phonelady! That sucks! I know there is a lot of information online about MG (and Scotts), but I know plenty of other people who have had issues with fungus gnats no matter what brand of potting mix they're using. I am using it, and have for several years (only outdoors until this year), and have zero issues, but perhaps I am lucky.

I know one of the main reasons for problems with fungus gnats is keeping the potting mix too moist at all times or over-watering. Have you been allowing your mix to almost dry out before watering again? I do not allow the surface of my mix to get moist at all (only the bottom half of the mix in the container). I bottom water all plants, including house plants. I have only found that I have issues with gnats when I try to keep my growing media too moist. Otherwise, they have never been a problem.

I have heard placing yellow sticky traps attracts gnats that are already established and work quite well. The single best way to avoid issues with gnats, or kill any larvae, is to never over-water, regardless of which mix you use.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 PM

I have the sticky yellow traps up now and they sure catch em and also a cup with vinegar and water more vinegar than water will also trap them. someone else told me they thought that the overwatering was the issue too but then they bought some really dry potting mix and actually measured out their water and they still got them so I don't know . thanks though yep im done in for this year maybe next year maybe in a few months I will try some very small tomatoes who knows ,but hey I am happy for the rest of you . No more mg in my house ever .

Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
1. Get a brick of coir.
2. Grow a container tomato like Red Robin

Both coir and Red Robin seeds available on amazon.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. Get a brick of coir.
2. Grow a container tomato like Red Robin

Both coir and Red Robin seeds available on amazon.
ty charlygal I had not thought of that thank you again .I would go buy some right now if I was not so dog gone broke LOL.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,231,442 times
Since you have given up on this growing season anyway, just solarize your soil. Clear plastic sheeting. Let it cook all summer. That should sterilize everything.

I think I have those gnats in my house. yes miracle grow for me also in my seed starter pots. They seem to live in the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden