Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times

Advertisements

I have always heard about hostas but lived in zone 11 and never could have as it was too hot. I am in NE florida now and have seen them as roots in the packages (with the bulbs) at the walmart garden center would I have luck with them here? What exposure? As a potted patio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I'm not any sort of expert on gardening in your area but I would guess that hostas would do alright there (assuming they're planted in the shade, or at least that they don't get full sun during the day).

Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
They can take heat - mine survive 90s and occassional 100s all summer. It's direct sunlight all day that they don't like.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I'm on a different wed site that has a Hosta Forum, and there are quite a few gals who have a lot of them and are in warmer climates.

so, yes... there are a few that will survive in zone9 (do a google on it)

also ... Hallson's has a great web site, plus a forum. They would be able to tell you specific hostas that will grow for you.

they are magnificent plants.... I just got into them myself in the past year.

here is the link to their [Hallsons] forum
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/index.phpV (broken link)

yes, it is true that some do not like the sun... though there are sun tolerant hostas ... but in your zone, the leaves may just "bake". Hostas generally need the cold of winter to go into dormancy ... which i do believe is where the problem lies with the warmer climates.

HTH

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Yes. Just make sure the soil is right for them and they are in full shade.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I have an East facing home and my north side has a naked 5' strip along the house which receives no direct light....the grass grows ok but would like to replace eventually with my potted hydrangeas, divide my ferns and add some hostas. Thanks for the insight!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM

60 posts, read 222,532 times
I had them in a shaded area in SC (zone 9) and made sure they were watered daily. I mixed in some premium soil for them so they wouldn't dry out too quickly. The hostas did all right but not as well as in the gardens I had in NJ. The other problem was they didn't get a colder, longer winter, in which they need to go dormant for their beauty sleep. Try a few and see how they do in the area you mentioned. If not, the best thing to do is to consult someone knowledgeable at a nusery and buy plants native to the area. Sometimes it's harder for us gardeners to give up the plants we love and grew in colder climes, and have to re-learn about gardening in our new homes. I learned about new flowers and found beautiful ones that flourished in our semi-tropical area. Buying a book about native plants would give you info. on all the varieties that do well in your specific area. I'm sure there are also plenty of websites for info. on the different varieties of hostas and other plants native to NE Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden