U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

I've 2 orchids as house plants, I've repotted them both and used the recommended compost and fertiliser. One has come out in pink flowers without problems. The other originally had white flowers when it arrived about 2 years ago from Tesco. Since then it has got lovely green leaves at both the bottom and top of the plant, also from the top grow light green stems with buds but no flowers.
Should I cut the topmost leaves and stems, etc and start it off again from the bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM

14,417 posts, read 19,881,018 times
some orchids have to have a lot of humidity to bloom and it is clearly that the one is not getting enough humidity . I don't know much about orchids but I do know enough to know that they need humidity . Maybe someone else who knows more can help more .

Old 05-06-2015, 06:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,493,833 times
Take a pic of these "top and bottom leaves" for us.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM

8,605 posts, read 4,912,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnr65o View Post
I've 2 orchids as house plants...
That's the equivalent of saying "I have two mammals as pets." Without knowing exactly what type of orchid your problem child is, it's hard to give any useful advice. Different species of orchids have VERY different growing requirements.

Quote:
Should I cut the topmost leaves and stems, etc and start it off again from the bottom?
Only if you want to kill your plant. Most orchids can't be re-rooted in such a fashion; their growth habits are very different from plants like philodendrons and African violets which can be re-rooted in that way.

Can you take a photo of your problem orchid and post it here? That would help!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM

8,535 posts, read 4,483,198 times
They like to be sprayed with a fine spray of water every day because they are from tropical areas where it rains daily. They DON'T like to have all the little tendrils buried in the soil; just leave them exposed to the air and the plant planted without a lot or extra soil around the buried roots. In the tropics they often just grow out of a little hole in a palm tree with hardly any soil at all. Feed with a liquid houseplant food. If you have cold winters, move them a little away from the window. Hope this helps; I LOVE my orchids!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,798,832 times
I don't have much luck with getting orchids to re-bloom either, but I think the advice about letting the root tendrils stay unburied is spot on. I saw these recently at The Linnaeus Garden in Tulsa. I'd never seen orchids in hanging baskets with no regard for the tendrils being buried. Of course they have an abundance of humidity there.
Attached Thumbnails
Orchid house plant won't flower-image.jpg  

Old 10-01-2015, 03:51 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,672,057 times
We keep our orchids (Phalaenopsis) in the bathroom until they bloom, then we take them out into the house while they are blooming. We have quite a few, and they have bloomed every year for the past five-six years. My wife waters them about every six weeks by lowering the pot into water. She also feeds them at the interval recommended on the food container.

Anyway, we have lots of blooming orchids starting in February and ending in September.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,075,903 times
Lost Roses,
That's a vanda.
My daughter bought me one for Mother's Day this year.
I hope I can keep it alive over the winter, I don't know, they are beautiful,
mine is purple just like that one in your picture.
It's pretty healthy so far, I put it in a crape myrtle tree over the summer, he was fine.
No pot for it, just roots, I have to buy a basket, I procrastinate too much sometimes.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,075,903 times
Oh, and to the original OP,
Post a pic of what you are calling leaves and stems for everyone.
Don't cut anything til you do,
In fact, don't cut anything at all.
Just take a pic with your phone, download onto your computer and post on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden