U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,014,568 times

Advertisements

I've got these three Redwood Trees, and they sit in the corner of the property, on a mound. They used to be really nice, but for the last 6 months, they have gotten browned out. I do see fresh tips on a couple of the trees. I thought it was a parasite or something, so I did some branch shaking, and nothing fell out of them. Got an Arborist coming next week to check it out. I was told it was more than likely lack of water.
Anybody use one of those deep drip watering spikes? I'd hate to lose them and have to remove them...would be a large void in the yard. Because of the fact they are on a mound, it may not be ideal for them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 PM

1,566 posts, read 952,034 times
well, the surrounding vegetation (which probably have shallow roots) seem in good shape and apparently not suffering from drought so IMHO don't think the deeper rooted redwood is suffering from inadequate water??? digging a small hole should be able to tell you if there is significant dryness in the upper (12-18") layers of soil at least. of course if you have also changed your watering practices in the last six months or so this might indeed point to moisture stress.

OTOH, redwoods are sensitive to cold and/or salty winds (like near the seashore) and IF you are in a place to exposed to cold winds or ocean winds that MIGHT be the cause. good luck to you and your plants.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,880 posts, read 58,082,366 times
How cold did it get this winter? My parents have one at 500' elevation near the Olympics (Port Angeles) and every year the top dies from the cold, 15-20F at times, but then grows back again over the summer/fall. Anything colder than USDA Zone 7 is going to be a problem without some winter protection, hard on a tree that size.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,595,075 times
I don't know what's wrong with your trees exactly, but from the looks of the photo, you're going to lose them. Browned out from bottom to top. This is a dying plant.

I'm guessing that the drought is playing its part. Redwoods and other indigenous evergreens in California actually have their growth season in the winter when it's cool and rainy, and are dormant in the summer.

Four winters without sufficient moisture could well have killed them off. I can't see a redwood putting up with that kind of deprivation.

souce: I lived on the CA north coast for over a decade, part of it in a redwood forest.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,615,179 times
Get a soaker hose around those trees immediately and get it going. Keep it going until the ground is saturated.

Location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden