U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 PM

584 posts, read 454,343 times

Advertisements

I have a Chinese Elm and today I see that there is bark missing off one limb an laying on the ground. The bark looks life it was pulled off in strips completely exposing the wood of the tree. Another part looks like it was hit with something and bark is missing. It is high enough in the tree that a kid could not reach and I have no kids at home. What would do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,900,275 times
according to ask.com chinese elms shed their bark .. i love a sycamore tree .. it sheds as well ..

Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM

584 posts, read 454,343 times
This is not shedding. The bark is stripped off and only in about a 2 foot long section and about 3 inches wide on the limb. I have seen the bark split as the tree grows but not this.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:10 PM

1,566 posts, read 954,657 times
you MIGHT be having squirrels stripping off the bark for nest building or POSSIBLY even porcupines going after the inner bark for food???

Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 AM

16,076 posts, read 12,884,366 times
We have an apple tree that is about six inches in diameter and has had bark stirpped. From the ground level to about seven feet high three fourths of the bark is missing. I suspect a bear (first choice) or porcupines - but I really don't know. I would think that it is too much bark missing for squirrels - but I would not put that past them either. Deer would not scrape their antlers seven feet high.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 AM

7,199 posts, read 8,808,004 times
I've seen squirrels strip a LOT of bark off trees. My first thought when I saw the trees in a local park was that we had somehow gotten porcupines, even though porcupines don't live in this area. I later saw the actual culprits in the act which turned out to be squirrels. I'm not sure if they were going after sap or what, but they sure stripped a lot of bark off of the trees!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:53 AM

16,076 posts, read 12,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I've seen squirrels strip a LOT of bark off trees. My first thought when I saw the trees in a local park was that we had somehow gotten porcupines, even though porcupines don't live in this area. I later saw the actual culprits in the act which turned out to be squirrels. I'm not sure if they were going after sap or what, but they sure stripped a lot of bark off of the trees!
I have watched squirrels 'tap' maple trees in the Spring. I presume they do that for the sugar in the sap. I just never thought they would strip 3/4th of the bark off an apple tree.

I did film a mother bear and her cubs stripping the bark off a cedar tree several years ago. My feeling was that she was making insecticide. Immediately, after stripping the bark, she rubbed her back to that area of the tree. Since we use cedar to protect our clothes; insecticide came to my mind.

Bears are known for destroying fruit trees. But usually that is associated with their eating and being too heavy for thin limbs. We also have their territorial claw marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden