U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:55 AM

4,612 posts, read 9,842,118 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying one of those bulbs to plant "elephant ears". I want to plant it in a wine barrel planter out on my deck. If I leave the bulb in there over the winter will the plant grow back in the summer? I live in NJ where the temperatures get well below freezing during the winter. I've heard mixed opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:48 AM

12,027 posts, read 9,448,715 times
There's no way of telling 100% for sure. Usually they can't take harsh winters but some people have had them come back.

Are you willing to just try it and see what happens? If it doesn't come back next year, you can just plant another one.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM

36,502 posts, read 45,651,370 times
In georgia I had clients who mulched it well and 50/50 chance of them coming back. others who planted them in big nursery pots and just dug up the pot and all and put them in crawl space or basement with 100% success. I'm going to try that here in N.C this winter. Wouldn't count on it in N. J.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,387,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm thinking of buying one of those bulbs to plant "elephant ears". I want to plant it in a wine barrel planter out on my deck. If I leave the bulb in there over the winter will the plant grow back in the summer? I live in NJ where the temperatures get well below freezing during the winter. I've heard mixed opinions on this.
IMO slim to none. Even my cold hardy tulips and other bulbs have trouble above ground in pots. I've lost a lot because I experimented with not putting the pots in the garage. And I'm in MD. In NJ those poor bulbs will die.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:01 PM

7,255 posts, read 8,977,191 times
If the bulb is in a container, in the late fall just move the planter in to the attached garage or next to the SW walls of the house and you might be okay. The leaves will die, of course.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:13 PM

8,618 posts, read 11,504,419 times
Many years ago, I wanted to over winter the EE bulb. I had to buy peat moss and silver nitrate for this. I followed the directions to a T and the bulb was rotted in the spring. I was told that the bulb was probably moisture laden and that is why that happened. Moral of th story, for the cost of the Silver nitrate and peat moss, I could have bout two new bulbs.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 AM

4,612 posts, read 9,842,118 times
Thanks for the replies. I talked to someone at my local garden center and he said at this point it is too late to plant bulbs (even in a pot) and that needed to be done in early spring. So he recommended buying a plant that has already bloomed.

I'm not sure if he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive plant rather than a 12 dollar bulb. How long does it normally take the bulbs to germinate in a container? And if I buy one that has already bloomed, can I follow the same procedures in winter of cutting off the leaves and bringing the bulb inside?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,334,409 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I talked to someone at my local garden center and he said at this point it is too late to plant bulbs (even in a pot) and that needed to be done in early spring. So he recommended buying a plant that has already bloomed.

I'm not sure if he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive plant rather than a 12 dollar bulb. How long does it normally take the bulbs to germinate in a container? And if I buy one that has already bloomed, can I follow the same procedures in winter of cutting off the leaves and bringing the bulb inside?
They are giving you bad information. This most certainly is the time to plant elephant ears. Now Tulips and such; Yes it's too late, or should I say too early as they get planted in the fall for spring flowering.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,387,290 times
Quote:

They lied to you. Where I am this is the best time to plant warm season perennials, including tender perennial bulbs like elephant ears. If you plant them earlier, the soil will be too cool.

And if you are not past your last frost date, then if you plant a plant with tons of foliage, there is a chance it could get all the leaves frozen off. Bad local garden center. IMHO

Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 AM

36,502 posts, read 45,651,370 times
good lord...they are just now available in the big box nurseries here as are caladium. I have some I haven't gotten around to planting. and up north where you are is even colder. they was just trying to get in your purse.
and remember most employees at big box "garden centers" don't know a pansy from a potato. Every now and then you will find a really knowledgeable employee and when you do get their shift schedule so you can know when to shop there. I'm on a first name basis with a wonderful woman at my local Lowes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden