Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

I want to put in a hedge along the property line...ive got a fence about 3 ft in from the property line and want something fast growing, and thorny on the outside to help keep predators out and nosey neighbors (and their dog) away from the fence.

but...id also prefer something "usefull"
I love roses, but knock outs are a no go, price wise (the property line im planning on installing is a good distance)
but that got me looking into alternate hedge roses and being from the UK im very familiar with Rose hips. i LOVE hips, use them for tea and jam, and my macaw also loves hips (raw or toasted, the seeds are spice and the whole hip is high in VitC)
so i think the hip roses (rugosa species) would be a great plan...

But realy how fast DO the grow?! i want somehting thats going to fill in quite quickly. spot there going is full to part sun and they will be planted in a mixture of local compost and fresh rabbit manure to give them the best start possible...i just dont want to be waiting 10 years for a 4ft tall hedge lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Rugose roses are invasive in some areas on the east coast, although they're used a lot in a few areas because they're salt-tolerant. It turns out all roses are salt tolerant. Since you are in TN, would you consider a native rose? Native roses produce hips and I bet there's a native plant nursery nearby where you can get a lot of them for cheap. I have a "Rosa virginiana" and these grow fairly large and fast, and are thorny. The petals and hips are edible. Virginia Rose | Rosa Virginiana

I found this AWESOME-looking nursery online in my quest for salt-tolerant native aquatic plants. These guys carry a lot of plants in large quantities, and I believe they're right in your state. If you get a chance to do business with them, pls let me know if you'd recommend them: rosa virginiana- Virginia Wild Rose Wholesale

There's also another native rose which may do well: rosa carolina. Unfortunatley I haven't had the chance to see one and don't know too much about it. Prarie Moon sells these online: Rosa carolina (Pasture Rose) :: Seeds :: Prairie Moon Nursery

Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
What about Photinias? I've briefly thought about these for privacy block on part our 10 acres. I don't know how expensive they are, but surely not as expensive as large hollies. From what I read briefly on CD, I guess some people don't like these, but I've seen several really nice looking ones around here used for privacy. Photinias success also depends on your growing zone.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 04-06-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I had a rugosa in Memphis. Planted it to keep kids from hopping the fence along the side of the house. Only took it a couple of years to get to a decent size. I think it took about 5 years to top the six foot fence.
Thorny enough to take your skin off if you're not careful.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
What about Photinias? I've briefly thought about these for privacy block on part our 10 acres. I don't know how expensive they are, but surely not as expensive as large hollies. From what I read briefly on CD, I guess some people don't like these, but I've seen several really nice looking ones around here used for privacy. Photinias success also depends on your growing zone.
NOOOooooo....no. NO. Please, no more photinias. Nowhere never.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Foxy, I have what I believe to be a Cherokee rose if you are into white roses. I found a cluster on the back side of our property in fairly deep shade and dug them up (no small job, by the way - the roots go to China). They didn't look too well for one season and then took off. They did suffer some in the weird summer last year, but they are in a sunnier spot now and this year will be magnificent. I cut them to the ground when I moved them 2 summers ago and they will easily reach 3-4' tall and wide this year. From what I've read they can be 15' tall. I'm in west central Arkansas, so we're pretty much on the same latitude.

Lady Banks also is fast growing and huge, but I they seem to need very full, hot sun.

Sorry, I don't know anything about hips...

Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM

i think ill skip on the photinia, dont know much about them and i personally cant use the berries there plenty of wild bird food aroung her lol.

i do like the cherokee rose and virginia rose too though...will definatly have to do some "digging" and figure out whats the best for the spot.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
If you could train climbing roses over your fence then you probably wouldn’t need as many compared to rugosas-

'Don Juan' Rose

I do really like the appearance of rugosa foliage though.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
It's nice that everyone is making such varied suggestions but I sure hope you think things through since you seem to be on a pretty strict budget.

There are a few problems you may not have thought about.

If you want privacy roses won't provide it in winter since even in western TN they will drop their leaves in late fall.

There is a disease that is rapidly becoming a problem for rose growers called Rose Rosette disease and it has been found in your area already. There is no known cure (outside of putting them in the landfill) and it spreads easily when you have a lot of roses close to each other. If you plant a hedge of them are you prepared to dig them all up again?

Be very careful about what roses you plant. After Kudzu the second most despised invasive is a rose (Multiflora Rose) and it is especially so in parts of middle and western TN. Cherokee rose is now being reported in a similar manner. Once planted they take over and spread where they are not wanted unless you do a lot of weeding and controlling. Rugosa roses spread by suckering (new plants come up from roots out away from where you planted the original) and probably will be hitting the invasive list soon, too. Just be aware that they will be a lot of work to keep in line in your new climate and soil conditions.

If you want something prickly enough and all year round green to be private you may want to consider some forms of holly. For an example a "Nellie R Stevens" will grow very quickly and you can grow more from cuttings from the first few you buy. An American Holly is a native that can be let go as a tree or it can be pruned to keep it a high hedge. You can get them from local nurseries or mail order from places like this: American Holly - Holly Family - Willis Orchard Company If you start with the 2-3 foot size you will have privacy within 2 years. The smaller size will take an extra year or so. It's cheap, has little in the way of disease problems and isn't invasive while it is prickly enough to deter snoops.

Good luck in whatever you pick.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

ll definatly look into other options as a hedge, however i will be planting some hip roses somewhere if i dont put it in as a hedge because i do love the hips and they are extreemly healthfull
As a side note i was planning on "trenching" the roses like you would bamboo to prevent suckering.

I will be looking into the Rose Rosette disese though, that one is news to me. thanks
right now i have some peace climbing roses and a small shrube rose (not sure what type as it was on clearance and missing its label but its setting to bloom so ill at least know what color soon lol) so knowing about new roses illnesses is a big thing as i do LOVE roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden