U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

When I saw that picture of the nightshade plant with the two kinds of leaves, and looked at the leaf I had taken from the plant that sold me on nightshade. Also all three forums came to the same conclusion.

(Its the same family as peppers isn't it? So you are still correct )

I thought about keeping it, it's pretty and what I read is that its not so deadly as make-you-sick-ly. I also love a survivor, one of my rules for my garden is they have to demonstrate the will to survive... I like that it's native, nightshade can be edible, if you really know what you're doing, I even found a gardener who specializes in poison plants
Atropa Belladonna, deadly nightshade - THE POISON GARDEN website

and I would love to let it flower just to confirm it is nightshade

but

I have a 7 year old, there's more young kids and babies in our community, the neighbor just over the fence you see has toddler grandchildren who visit, and there's lots of little dogs around here... I am growing my edibles in the same spot (strawberries, sage, basil) I just can't risk a pretty plant with attractive berries that is toxic in every way, could even harm by brushing against it... it for my curiousity.

And... this is my best chance to actually get rid of it, before it flowers. I read up on how to kill it and - it aint easy. Several times it said "this could take years". The weed killer is so potent as to destroy anything near it, and heaven knows what for my edibles... and still takes years:

How to Eradicate Nightshade | Home Guides | SF Gate

So this morning after I soaked it and donned my gloves and started to pull it out of the ground, I felt validated to see those roots come from the other side of my fence. I did not plant this, the roots are what were described for Nightshade... walks like a duck.

I threw it into the bushes, partially because I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do with it once it was out, it came out so easily on the first try. I got all the roots on my side of the fence and about 6 inches into the other side of the fence. It will probably try to come back.

And then I also noticed this little plant growing amidst my morning glories. I had noticed it over the last couple days, how it looked different and grew faster, but I thought it was a moonflower (Ipomoea) or a hyacinth bean.

I did plant moonflowers and hyacinth beans. I collected the seeds from last year and tossed them all back in a couple weeks ago. The seeds were all together, and I don't know if I got any moonflowers and I only had like 7 hyancinth bean seeds.

So... anyone know if this sprout is nightshade, moonflower or hyacinth bean?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What is this? (Name that plant!)-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 PM

733 posts, read 690,366 times
My four o'clocks were very busy, tall (like 3 feet), and had woody stems. They were "Marvel of Peru."

The drought finally got them, after 9 years.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM

4,947 posts, read 4,386,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelZ3 View Post
When I saw that picture of the nightshade plant with the two kinds of leaves, and looked at the leaf I had taken from the plant that sold me on nightshade. Also all three forums came to the same conclusion.

(Its the same family as peppers isn't it? So you are still correct )

I thought about keeping it, it's pretty and what I read is that its not so deadly as make-you-sick-ly. I also love a survivor, one of my rules for my garden is they have to demonstrate the will to survive... I like that it's native, nightshade can be edible, if you really know what you're doing, I even found a gardener who specializes in poison plants
Atropa Belladonna, deadly nightshade - THE POISON GARDEN website

and I would love to let it flower just to confirm it is nightshade

but

I have a 7 year old, there's more young kids and babies in our community, the neighbor just over the fence you see has toddler grandchildren who visit, and there's lots of little dogs around here... I am growing my edibles in the same spot (strawberries, sage, basil) I just can't risk a pretty plant with attractive berries that is toxic in every way, could even harm by brushing against it... it for my curiousity.

And... this is my best chance to actually get rid of it, before it flowers. I read up on how to kill it and - it aint easy. Several times it said "this could take years". The weed killer is so potent as to destroy anything near it, and heaven knows what for my edibles... and still takes years:

How to Eradicate Nightshade | Home Guides | SF Gate

So this morning after I soaked it and donned my gloves and started to pull it out of the ground, I felt validated to see those roots come from the other side of my fence. I did not plant this, the roots are what were described for Nightshade... walks like a duck.

I threw it into the bushes, partially because I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do with it once it was out, it came out so easily on the first try. I got all the roots on my side of the fence and about 6 inches into the other side of the fence. It will probably try to come back.

And then I also noticed this little plant growing amidst my morning glories. I had noticed it over the last couple days, how it looked different and grew faster, but I thought it was a moonflower (Ipomoea) or a hyacinth bean.

I did plant moonflowers and hyacinth beans. I collected the seeds from last year and tossed them all back in a couple weeks ago. The seeds were all together, and I don't know if I got any moonflowers and I only had like 7 hyancinth bean seeds.

So... anyone know if this sprout is nightshade, moonflower or hyacinth bean?

Many thanks!
Nightshade.....

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,499 times
Yep, Peaches is right, Nightshade again. I pulled the sprout out from behind the netting and saw this. The telltale little wing at the base of the leaf. I was thinking that it was probably growing so fast like the other one because it's roots were established on the other side of the fence. When I pulled it out (not as easy or satisfying as the big one) sure enough the roots came from the other side of the fence.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this? (Name that plant!)-1.jpg  

Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 19,848,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelZ3 View Post
Yep, Peaches is right, Nightshade again. I pulled the sprout out from behind the netting and saw this. The telltale little wing at the base of the leaf. I was thinking that it was probably growing so fast like the other one because it's roots were established on the other side of the fence. When I pulled it out (not as easy or satisfying as the big one) sure enough the roots came from the other side of the fence.

Nightshade also has this unpleasant smell when you pull it or break a stem...

Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Nightshade also has this unpleasant smell when you pull it or break a stem...
oh yes, kind of pungent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden