U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 08:20 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,412,366 times

Advertisements

Now, orchids are supposed to have some indirect lighting, right? And some warmth and humidity?

Last summer I bought two orchid plants from a nursery in California, and late fall I moved them into the computer room so I could decorate for the holidays. One of them had already lost leaves and wasn't looking very good, and I didn't expect them to survive. But the other plant has.

The computer room gets no light at all - the window is even blocked. It gets a few hours of rather dim over-head light when someone is in here, and maybe some indirect "light" from the computers. There are 5 computers in here but usually there are one or two being used at the same time. It got chilly during the winter months, although the plant probably enjoyed some heating from the computers it sits by, and it is very "dry". It did drop one leaf a few months ago but has been growing a very healthy-looking one, and I think I'm going to leave it in here a while longer.

I've wondered if this plant isn't enjoying some electro-energy.

Anyway experience anything like this with an orchid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:00 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,027,939 times
phalenopsis?

I've forgotten them (in the winter) in a windowless bathroom where I was watering them...

a couple weeks later when I remember, the plant always looks fine. (There is a dim nightlight that is on in the room, but otherwise dark).

I'd be surprised if one of the more light intensive varieties was doing that well in such a low light environment, but who knows.

Most "care" guidelines aren't to get the plant to survive - but to bloom. Unlikely such low light will lead to bud formation, but as far as surviving - you seem to have answered your own question.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:47 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,412,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
phalenopsis?

I've forgotten them (in the winter) in a windowless bathroom where I was watering them...

a couple weeks later when I remember, the plant always looks fine. (There is a dim nightlight that is on in the room, but otherwise dark).

I'd be surprised if one of the more light intensive varieties was doing that well in such a low light environment, but who knows.

Most "care" guidelines aren't to get the plant to survive - but to bloom. Unlikely such low light will lead to bud formation, but as far as surviving - you seem to have answered your own question.

I looked it up and it could very well be one of those.

Well, I've been fertilizing it every two weeks. Perhaps it's time to move it to a more appropriate spot, as I would love for it bloom again.

Thank you.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM

8,631 posts, read 4,933,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Now, orchids are supposed to have some indirect lighting, right? And some warmth and humidity?

The computer room gets no light at all - the window is even blocked. It gets a few hours of rather dim over-head light when someone is in here, and maybe some indirect "light" from the computers.
That's your big problem, right there - not nearly enough light. Some orchids like and thrive on direct sunlight. Most will do well with BRIGHT indirect light. Your plant's not getting enough light to bloom. Most people who've not grown orchids before underestimate how much light orchids need to bloom well.

Other possible issues: most orchids do better with a temperature drop overnight - but how much of a drop depends on the species. Phalaenopsis (the most common orchid sold in the big box stores) prefers night temperatures to stay above 65 F. And some orchids are sensitive to day length - or more accurately, to night length, as they need a long period of darkness to stimulate blooming (like a Christmas cactus or a poinsettia). Obviously if one of those orchids is kept in a room where people come and go at night, turning the lights on and off, it won't flower.

But in your case, I'd bet that inadequate light is the culprit.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:34 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,327,422 times
I've seen wild orchids on the east coast of Canada, growing in thick wooded locations where they only got very indirect late afternoon sun... and very little of that. They were extremely well shaded. So the possibility that you could have a store-bought orchid thriving in such little light doesn't totally surprise me.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 PM

371 posts, read 271,166 times
Orchids also grow slowly. That means they die slowly too. It takes a while for them to respond to, say, being starved of light. Same with sun scorch...it sometimes takes a few days for the damage to show

Except for rot...that can happen quickly.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 AM

2,052 posts, read 1,956,271 times
I've found; they need light and warmth.
Fluorescentt light is great for them inside, not a computer's light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden