Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times

Advertisements

It seems that no matter how hard I try, I have one green thumb and one brown thumb.

My green thumb can grow veggies. I enjoy fresh salads, tomatoes, peppers, etc all summer.

My brown thumb cannot grow flowers to save my life. I don't know what it is. I can get the seed to germinate, nurture them under grow lights, and as soon as I take them outside, they all die.

Can anyone relate? Do you have one of each or are both of your thumbs green?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
LOL both of my thumbs are green IMHO, and yet I've killed many plants. Starting seeds doesn't work very well for me (you may have read about some of my escapades here on CD). That doesn't mean my thumb is brown.

My motto is avoid the plants that give me problems :P. Direct sowing is easier than growing inside, and there's no hardening off needed. I'm not even a big lover of annuals, but some are so easy IMO almost anybody can grow them. Maybe you can try these and start feeling good about the other thumb:
California poppies - literally throw them outside when it is kind of cool (I'm in MD) or even with snow on the ground.
Zinnias - sow in dirt when it is warm.
Sunflowers - Same as zinnias
Nasturtiums - I file these with a nail file to remove some of the outer shell. Then plant them when it is warm.
Cosmos - Plant outside when warm.
Portulaca (also called moss rose?) - Sow when warm outside. These were SO EASY. I don't even think you need to put dirt on these.
Four O Clocks - Plant when warm outside.
Morning Glories - If your thumb ever feels brown, then plant morning glories! These are so easy and just get more and more beautiful until frost.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
Hmmm.....people used to say I had a green thumb. What they didn't know was that half of what I planted died, what didn't die, flourished. I just don't tell people about the plants that died, is all.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,590,551 times
Buy bedding plants instead. The hard part has already been done and your brown thumb will turn green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden