Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:47 AM

11 posts, read 14,137 times

Advertisements

Heya,

So I'm about to make a rather silly/stupid post for most people who will read this. A quick summary – I'm a 30-year old female professional about to get my 5 years in for my first job (in 8 months). So why I'm posting here? This is where it gets silly – my "dream" has always been to have a house with a huge backyard (with maybe a pool ) where I'm able to grow fruit trees – apples, oranges, pears, peaches, pineapples, watermelons possibly banana/coconuts etc etc… maybe even mangos… don't know (NO I'm not a professional – but I do realize different trees require different environments to grow –ex: chilling, dry weather, soil types etc). My knowledge on this subject is very little - I have a couple of trees planted in my backyard.

Currently I work in Michigan and live in Canada… and I'm ready to move somewhere else. I hate the weather and I'm ready to commit to a two season or mild winter location.

Question is where? As silly as it sounds, my "dream" will be the deciding factor (yes stupid post I know – but I really have no preferences… just nowhere cold because I'm sick and tired of it.). So I consulted Dr. Google on good states to grow fruit trees at… and it's California, California, California… Unfortunately – that is the ONLY state where my professional license is not valid (and believe me when I say, it's not just a simple test that's required to be certified). I know very little about growing trees – I planted a few myself here; Apple, Pear, Peaches, Nectarines… ONLY had massive luck with Pear trees (the fruit grows like crazy… unfortunately, the quality is a different matter).

I know this is just a stupid dream and post… but I would like to pursue it if possible. Can anyone advise me on what STATE/AREA something like this can be possible - soil/weather/water/hardiness-wise (again I know you can't have all in one place outside of California).

I think Florida, Texas and Oregon are the contenders - Unsure how they compare in terms of gardening, cost of living, housing etc.... those would all help me decide where I want to move - but ultimately my silly "dream" takes priority.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,939 times
All About Growing Fruit Trees

All About Growing Fruit Trees - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

United States Department of Agriculture

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
well mangoes are pretty warm climate. I would think Texas or Florida would be the furthest south you can get to grow stuff outside of California. You'll have to understand specifically what you want to grow.

It's a bit more complicated. Most of the washington Apple growers originally started in Arkansas, but they discovered the climate lent itself more to disease than good apples.

Rainfall can have a pretty good effect on disease. California has very little rainfall and the plants are spared from diseases that might come in wetter places.

Native fruits would always do better in any location you choose. I'm trying an Orient Pear hybrid and red seedless grapes in my backyard, but muscadine grapes and keiffer pears would probably grow better and be more disease resistant for me.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
As the previous poster said, you need to narrow down your choice of fruits. Not all those fruits grow in California, either! You can forget the bananas, coconuts and pineapples unless you move to Hawaii or the extreme south of Florida. Central and Eastern Washington state is great for apples, pears, and stone fruits like cherries and peaches, but no good for citrus. Citrus loves warm climates like Texas and Florida but apples and stone fruits don't love being warm all the time.

So, what do you want to grow MOST?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:52 AM

733 posts, read 853,070 times
Your dream list of fruit-bearers has conflicting climatic needs.

Get yourself to coastal Texas, Lower Louisiana, or the Gulf Coast to grow most of the fruits on your list.

Arizona can also grow quite a few, as can New Mexico, if you have "water rights" when you buy your home/land.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 14,137 times
Heya,

Thank you for the responses! I really really love Citrus and Stone Fruit... and somewhere I thought in a "9B" Climate there might be enough "chills hours" and possibly with some protection (ex: Bradenton/Sarasota Area) I could try adding Coconut/Banana Trees (I understand these are VERY sensitive towards any cold/frosting etc). Does this sound very unreasonable? (probably does) Assuming Citrus + Stone Fruits as my priority - any recommendation here?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazal View Post
Heya,

So I'm about to make a rather silly/stupid post for most people who will read this. A quick summary – I'm a 30-year old female professional about to get my 5 years in for my first job (in 8 months). So why I'm posting here? This is where it gets silly – my "dream" has always been to have a house with a huge backyard (with maybe a pool ) where I'm able to grow fruit trees – apples, oranges, pears, peaches, pineapples, watermelons possibly banana/coconuts etc etc… maybe even mangos… don't know (NO I'm not a professional – but I do realize different trees require different environments to grow –ex: chilling, dry weather, soil types etc). My knowledge on this subject is very little - I have a couple of trees planted in my backyard.

Currently I work in Michigan and live in Canada… and I'm ready to move somewhere else. I hate the weather and I'm ready to commit to a two season or mild winter location.

Question is where? As silly as it sounds, my "dream" will be the deciding factor (yes stupid post I know – but I really have no preferences… just nowhere cold because I'm sick and tired of it.). So I consulted Dr. Google on good states to grow fruit trees at… and it's California, California, California… Unfortunately – that is the ONLY state where my professional license is not valid (and believe me when I say, it's not just a simple test that's required to be certified). I know very little about growing trees – I planted a few myself here; Apple, Pear, Peaches, Nectarines… ONLY had massive luck with Pear trees (the fruit grows like crazy… unfortunately, the quality is a different matter).

I know this is just a stupid dream and post… but I would like to pursue it if possible. Can anyone advise me on what STATE/AREA something like this can be possible - soil/weather/water/hardiness-wise (again I know you can't have all in one place outside of California).

I think Florida, Texas and Oregon are the contenders - Unsure how they compare in terms of gardening, cost of living, housing etc.... those would all help me decide where I want to move - but ultimately my silly "dream" takes priority.

Thanks!!
Here in Florida you will be able to grow the watermelons, pineapples, and oranges. Bananas will only survive the winter below Orlando. Coconuts will only survive the winter in the Southern most regions of Florida. Even in Miami they have had cold enough winters to kill Coconuts. You wont be able to grow Apples, peaches, or stone fruits like cherries in Florida because we dont have enough frost days that are needed to signal flowering. The problem is youre trying to grow all of the types of fruit in one place and thats not going to happen as theyve all evolved in different parts of the WORLD.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
FYI Im in Jacksonville and I have: A key lime, Naval Orange, Satsuma, have grown watermelon, virtually any fruit or vegetable other than those that INSIST on cold weather, a Japanese pear thing that i didnt plant, muscadine, a lemon and two fig trees. The bananas are for decoration around the pool as they die back to the roots every winter then come back just in time to die again next winter.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I think you will have a problem trying to grow so many different fruits. I am sure you really do not intend on finding any one location where all fruits grow well. Pinaapples and bananas would probably be your biggest challenge. If I wanted a lot of fruit trees and could go anywhere in the USA, I would consintrat on southern states, especially Florida. The southern most part of Texas would be my second choice. Even parts of Texas has cool enough winters to make tropical fruits hard to grow.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:43 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
For stone fruits, apples.........Albemarle County, VA. Also grapes. Berries of various types as well.

Beautiful area.........mildish winters.....great art and music scene.........and real estate won't bankrupt you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden