U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM

425 posts, read 417,237 times

Advertisements

I love my local nursery, they are super helpful, some of them know me by name, their plants are very healthy and I love supporting local businesses. We are in the Portland, ME area.

But, their prices are getting up there. I normally buy perennials for the garden and only buy annuals for my planters, containers. The annuals now were mainly in 4 inch pots and were $4.49 - to $4.99. I was buying nemesia, dracena, geraniums, creeping jenny. The larger 6 packs of nemesia were $19.99 but only came in the same color, where I wanted 9 all together, but 3 of 3 colors.

The small 6 packs of dusty miller, cosmos and portulaca were $3.99.

They sell beautiful hanging baskets- I buy 3 tuberous begonia @ $23.99 each. I then transplant them into cocoa lined baskets and to me, those are totally worth it. I get a million compliments and could never do it myself. And at $4.49 for a little pot- who knows how many I would need to get it as full as they do.

I can't remember what I spent on the pansies and violas. That was about a month or so ago.

For perennials, the ferns are $9.99, stachys hummelo were $7.99, peonies were $12.99, roses were $23.99. Can't remember what else I bought so far this year.

How does this compare to your local nursery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,823,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
I love my local nursery, they are super helpful, some of them know me by name, their plants are very healthy and I love supporting local businesses. We are in the Portland, ME area.

But, their prices are getting up there. I normally buy perennials for the garden and only buy annuals for my planters, containers. The annuals now were mainly in 4 inch pots and were $4.49 - to $4.99. I was buying nemesia, dracena, geraniums, creeping jenny. The larger 6 packs of nemesia were $19.99 but only came in the same color, where I wanted 9 all together, but 3 of 3 colors.

The small 6 packs of dusty miller, cosmos and portulaca were $3.99.

They sell beautiful hanging baskets- I buy 3 tuberous begonia @ $23.99 each. I then transplant them into cocoa lined baskets and to me, those are totally worth it. I get a million compliments and could never do it myself. And at $4.49 for a little pot- who knows how many I would need to get it as full as they do.

I can't remember what I spent on the pansies and violas. That was about a month or so ago.

For perennials, the ferns are $9.99, stachys hummelo were $7.99, peonies were $12.99, roses were $23.99. Can't remember what else I bought so far this year.

How does this compare to your local nursery?
I haven't actually purchased plants yet - the weather is still too unsettled here. Probably next week. Though your prices sound pretty much the same as what I paid last year. I think when they quit doing six-packs of most of the small annuals here they really jacked up the price for the 4" pots which happened three or four years ago and I find rather annoying. Those annuals take off fast and there's no need to start off with the "jumbo" packs as they call them.

And don't get me started on the prices for those "pot stuffers" for hanging baskets and whatnot. For the money, you're smart to buy the basket already stuffed. And our local garden center usually does 3 large perennials for $20, though I don't know if that price has held this year or not. Ferns are also around 9.99 at the grocery store, more at the nursery. Since I usually have a half dozen or so ferns, I've been wintering them over inside the past few years.

No matter how I complain about the price I have to have my plants and I'm looking forward to some non-rainy days so I can start filling the pots on my terrace! I mix both annuals and perennials in the pots and enjoy "designing" them each year.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,829,929 times
I consider myself very lucky to have several good sources nearby but the one I most prefer is a master gardener lady - who along with her husband - raise and sell perennials and also veggie plants. Her husband also makes yard art that is adorable but I haven't purchased any yet - (it goes quickly). She has an excellent variety, healthy plants that are very well laid out so you can see what you are buying, and last time I came home with 18 full sized pots of perennials for under $70.

She had plants as nice as any I see at the big box stores or the local nurseries - and individually her plants average about $3-5 a pot. I was in heaven - and so far the only thing I had a problem with was a couple of cone flowers I lost last summer to Asters Yellow disease. They had been planted about 3 years ago though. I'm heading back very soon!!!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,063,271 times
There are some secrets to stretching garden dollars.

Don't buy the first pretty weekend- everything is going to be too high

buy the smallest size they have. Within 2 weeks, if the temperatures are warm and you use quality potting mix your little cell packs will be nicely filled out

learn how to grow from seed-especially annuals. I cringe when I see people buying marigolds at nurseries and some other easily grown from seed annuals

learn how to propagate from cuttings. Dahlias are easy as are so many other plants and flowers

For the money bulbs and iris and perennials are the best investments. This week I found Home Depot had half price on caladiums, lilies, liatris, elephant ears, cannas, glads. All those can be carried over from year to year with just a bit of effort.

I do buy a few annuals but I look for pots with several plants in one pot or cell. These can easily be divided and put in separate pots.

Here's what gets me. I'm looking for a certain plant to put in a container and the only way I can find it is already potted up in an expensive basket or planter with plants I don't want.

This week at HD 4x4 perennials were 4 for $10...good price.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,375,157 times
Most of the deals around here start in June when spring fever has worn off. With that being said, I buy most of my perennials from a local Long Island grower, that grows only native plants for our area. The only problem is she sells all her plants in the gallon size pots, and might be a little too pricey for some people. I bought three Joe-Pye weed (Big Nate) from her last week, and they have already grown 14 inches in six days. I'm calling them my 'nosey neighbor" blocker.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 AM

72,961 posts, read 56,182,399 times
2 words. Rip Off.

I travel north a bit in CT for better (fairer) prices, otherwise nurseries in SWCT near coast is just sad to look at.

Even if you travel towards the SE coast CT it gets better. All about demand. Since population is out of control in the SW part, prices are reflecting it.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 19,919 times
uhhh i buy all of my perennials at lowes on clearance usually at less than 1/2 the original price and ive yet to lose one and once you get to know the folks in lawn and garden......... smooth sailing!!!!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:51 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,063,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katary View Post
uhhh i buy all of my perennials at lowes on clearance usually at less than 1/2 the original price and ive yet to lose one and once you get to know the folks in lawn and garden......... smooth sailing!!!!
they hire so many seasonal workers- more than any other department- it is hard to build any kind of relationship with them....especially in a university area.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:36 PM

425 posts, read 417,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katary View Post
I was trying not to buy at the big box stores because of the bees. They were putting something in their soil that was harmful to bees, even though the plant itself was good for bees.

However, I got an email the other day that due to the pressure we put on stores like Lowe's, (signing petitions etc.), Lowe's has stopped using the bee killing pesticide but now we need to pressure True Value and Ace.

Here is a link to the petition drive: https://secure.sierraclub.org/site/A....2&s_subsrc=fb

Old 05-16-2015, 02:38 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,823,265 times
I've known the owner of ours for years and he's a very knowledgeable guy but rushed off his feet during plant-buying season. They have to hire many people and it's true some of them are lacking in plant knowledge, but if they can direct me to the plant I want I'm happy. I have answered many a question for other shoppers which amuses me no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden