U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,004,670 times

Advertisements

More and more deer in my yard in southern NJ. They are starting to eat things they did not eat before. Bad, bad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM

10,262 posts, read 17,358,806 times
We had a deer problem when we lived on Bainbridge Island. Since the rhodies will be planted elsewhere I second the suggestion that you drape that fine mesh over them - two layers if possible.

We had good luck with deer scarecrows, those motion sensor sprinklers. Don't just leave them in one place as the deer get acclimated to them, move them around the yard every day or two.

Serious gardeners in my old neck of the woods constructed two fences, a low one then a higher one, around their garden. Deer can't jump both high and wide.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM

16,038 posts, read 12,834,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
We had a deer problem when we lived on Bainbridge Island. Since the rhodies will be planted elsewhere I second the suggestion that you drape that fine mesh over them - two layers if possible.

We had good luck with deer scarecrows, those motion sensor sprinklers. Don't just leave them in one place as the deer get acclimated to them, move them around the yard every day or two.

Serious gardeners in my old neck of the woods constructed two fences, a low one then a higher one, around their garden. Deer can't jump both high and wide.
Those deer sprinklers are not too efficient at -20 or even below 32 degrees. Deer are hungry 24/7 and especially in the winter; when the sprinklers are frozen and no grass to graze.

I have five three X three foot Rhodies that were decimated last winter. Two of them are starting to show some signs of life; but three do not have one leaf left. If you would surround them with the deer fencing until they grew over five foot high; then they would have the possibility of surviving even if you took down the fencing - presuming that you do not mind Rhodies that have no leaves on the first five feet. Whitetails will clean off everything below five foot high - I do not know about elk and moose.

Actually, the more sensible solution to deer and Rhodies is to replace them with Japanese Andromeda. I have Andromeda that have survived untouched along side of my destroyed Rhodies. Here is a picture of yews, a young English boxwood and a Japanese Andromeda. There is one Rhodie that is in the middle and only the bare limbs are visible - the deer ate every leaf. They also ate back the yews; what they could reach (the top was safe).

Old 05-17-2015, 08:29 PM

36,502 posts, read 45,692,007 times
I have a friend with LOTS of money and her solution to the deer problem at her house was to have two attractive 4 ft picket fences installed about 3-4' apart. She says deer won't jump into any space they fear they can't exit easily and so far it has worked. She refused to give up on her favorite plants in the front yard and the double fence was her last possible solution. She did install a 7 ft deer fence in the back yard. BTW she and her husband had to petition and kiss the ring of her HOA to get permission for the double fence in the front yard. They also had a very expensive but attractive automatic gate installed on the driveway. All to keep the deer out of her garden. She also planted deer proof evergreens outside the double fence in an attempt to hide the double fence. Can't remember exactly what she has there now but her house looks like a fortress to me and apparently to her deer neighbors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden