U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,645,917 times

Advertisements

That's called a trimmed board on board, your not going to find a panel like it because it was all constructed on site. Its had some settling, upheave and root intrusion along that fence line. Seems like the original fence line grade needs some work as well.

Even if you could find a panel it wouldn't work because your going to have to custom fit those sections because of the sloping grade. Well unless you want it to look like crap after your done.

That's not such easy job for a do it yourselfer unless you have the experience.

Might be a good project to get your feet wet though. A long weekend and you would have gained some knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,345,915 times
I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong here. Yes one post had a catastrophic failure, and the one to the right of it is maybe cracked at the ground line. But the fence panels look salvageable. Two PT 4x4's, two PT 2x6's?, a shovel, and some nails. Combine that with a nice day, and a helping hand should do the trick. Instead of looking for a fence contractor, look for a 'Jack of all trades" (handyman) in your local paper. You supply the materials, and then have the handyman repair it. Couple of hours work at best.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 AM

36,503 posts, read 45,762,605 times
Have you ever slammed a post hole digger into solid ground? Lord it is back breaking job and you don't dig...you slam and squeeze and lift and do it over and over again. and you get a tablespoon of earth each time.

Have you considered how yucky it will look to have brand new section against the old weather fence? I'm betting the whole fence is in bad shape and you might end up with a patchwork of old and new sections which would look bad. But you could paint the whole thing or a really dark stain might hide old and new together.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,727,466 times
Is this fence rotten too much?
Do people replace it like this?
What are those white stains on it?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,645,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Is this fence rotten too much?
Do people replace it like this?
What are those white stains on it?
Not sure but whomever set up that bracing system shouldn't be installing the new fence.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,345,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Not sure but whomever set up that bracing system shouldn't be installing the new fence.
Looks homemade to me. Also where the one post is totally gone looks as if there is a grading problem. I'm seeing a very low spot where I bet water has collected over many years causing the post to rot, so not all the blame should be directed at the neighbor.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:24 AM

7,981 posts, read 19,521,737 times
Have you approached your neighbo to share in the costs? It appears they would benefit, as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 AM

72,599 posts, read 55,623,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
For a contractor they also have overhead, so they are not going to do it at cost for you:

For 2 guys:
1. Travel - 100
2. 8 hrs labor - 240
3. Materials - 100
4. Profit - 160?

but looking at this...it seems hardly worth it for the contractor...
Great post. What people forget is that "work" doesn't start when they arrive on your property and physically start digging.. They were working for the customer the minute they were driving to the location to get materials. All the time spent there and driving from there was all for the customer so that should be included in price.

Also.. it's called "estimates" because the trades have no idea what they might come across during the job which might take an extra couple hours to do.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,727,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Have you considered how yucky it will look to have brand new section against the old weather fence? I'm betting the whole fence is in bad shape and you might end up with a patchwork of old and new sections which would look bad. But you could paint the whole thing or a really dark stain might hide old and new together.
There are 3 choices:
1-replace some boards and posts
2-replace posts and 3-4 complete panels.
3-replace the whole fence.

choice#1 would have new and old boards, choice#2 would have old and new sections. Patchy anyway, but which one is worse?
Does this really require choice#3?
From choice #1/#2 I want to find out which one is cheaper (material+labour) and still feasible.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 AM

94 posts, read 121,699 times
A backyard is the best place to gather with friends and family on warm summer time. Therefore I like to decorate my backyard with night lights which can enhance the essence of backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or