Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I had a new gardening friend over touring my garden. he saw my blue star amsonia and remarked "Oh that's pretty but it is next to impossible to move". I recovered in time not to laugh but I did explain to him that the 30-40 plants I have in my garden were all dug up from my Atlanta garden and brought to the new NC garden. Didn't lose a single plant.

Started me thinking about other happy "mistakes" I've made in my 45+ years of gardening.

i once found a tree- unidentified_ sticking out of the top of the dumpster at my favorite nursery. When I inquired what it was and why it was in the trash i was told it was sent to them in error, would never grow in Atlanta and i could have it if I wanted it. It was still in the growers pot. Not too proud to dumpster dive for a bargain i brought it home and planted it. 30 years later is is healthy, huge and still unidentified.

Somehow or another I have a rose and an azalea growing and thriving and blooming side by side in one flower beds. oopsie!!!

I have blooming healthy plants in the shade which are known to need full sun and vice versa.

What "mistakes" have you had success with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I wish I knew enough about gardening to know which mistakes aren't "fatal"!

I am about to plant my front-yard flower beds ... FINALLY!!! ... planned to in 2013, then 2014, and now I am determined to get them done this year. (I actually came online to post in the garden forum as of course I have a zillion questions!)

Hope others chime in with their "non-fatal" mistakes!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Karen- you are in for some fun. Get yourself to your local Extension Office Site(Department of Agriculture) and you will find lots of information about what grows best in your area. Learn your zone, the sun's pattern for your yard and you'll be able to know what to plant where.
I'm all the time trying new perennials and I keep em moving through out the garden. A friend told me my plants were on roller skates. Sometimes I keep them in the pot or put in a bigger nursery pot, sink it in the garden to see if I or it like it there. Most of us learn the best lessons from trial and error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden