Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,379 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm having an erosion problem due to an uncooperative neighbor diverting his drainage onto my property. I have a ton of clay soil and I thought that being that it's not porous, I could dig along my property line and make a barrier of the clay to prevent his drainage from coming into my yard causing so much erosion on my property.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Yes, it's great. I think you're onto something and should do it. Clay is one of the least permeable 'soils' and imho, would do the job.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Hi!

I'm having an erosion problem due to an uncooperative neighbor diverting his drainage onto my property. I have a ton of clay soil and I thought that being that it's not porous, I could dig along my property line and make a barrier of the clay to prevent his drainage from coming into my yard causing so much erosion on my property.

I don't know where you are but your neighbor is likely violating the law. The general rule now is that runoff has to be contained on the original property and not diverted to where it causes damage to another property.

You could go nuclear and get your local code enforcement people involved.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, it's great. I think you're onto something and should do it. Clay is one of the least permeable 'soils' and imho, would do the job.
Thank you so much for your input. I've run out of all options and figured since I didn't know it was clay mixed in with topsoil until about 80 bulbs wouldn't grow in my flower beds, I figured I could use it to legally prevent his runoff.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know where you are but your neighbor is likely violating the law. The general rule now is that runoff has to be contained on the original property and not diverted to where it causes damage to another property.

You could go nuclear and get your local code enforcement people involved.
I'm in PA and have had the borough officials out here and they tell me that I need to get an attorney and sue him. I can't afford to go that route.

I'm going to try to talk to him in a civil manner as I just found a small drain pipe about an inch from my property when I was planting some new grass. I did put clay to the edge of my property.

If he doesn't agree to take that drain pipe out, I'll call the borough to come out and maybe they can do something about that.

I really appreciate your input on this situation.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We had a pond dug, and they used a clay layer to keep the water in, so I'd say yes.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Original question:

Landfills will many times have a clay liner, albeit several feet thick.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Yes, use the clay, but you might also get an attorney to simply write a letter - often times just the prospect of a lawsuit will get an uncooperative neighbor to be cooperative and the letter is all it takes.

How successful the clay will be will depend on what kind it is, of course.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:34 AM

230 posts, read 430,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Hi!

First, check your local/state laws and water regulations. In many places, it is illegal to divert water onto someone else's property. Some jurisdictions will rain hard on the diverter's parade, so to speak.

It may also be illegal to block the flow onto your property, if the natural flow is across it or the "offender" has somehow acquired to rights to do what is being done. Again, check with your local authorities before you do anything.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, use the clay, but you might also get an attorney to simply write a letter - often times just the prospect of a lawsuit will get an uncooperative neighbor to be cooperative and the letter is all it takes.

How successful the clay will be will depend on what kind it is, of course.
I'll think about the letter if he doesn't agree to do something after I talk to him. If he doesn't agree to either remove the drain pipe or at least cap it off, the borough may intervene this time once they see he has the pipe leading to my yard.

I don't have a clue as to what type of clay it is. I used a hand edger to cut into it and where it wasn't mixed with real topsoil, I got big chunks or even brick like pieces. I ended up mixing the smaller pieces with some water and stones and it was almost like cement consistency. I put that where I had dug out one eroded part of my hillside to try to have safe footing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden