U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM
 
4,287 posts, read 2,991,355 times
Reputation: 9539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
My Lowes takes better care of their plants than my Home Depot.

Their selection is better as well.
Same for me. I really think though it depends on the individual stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,426 posts, read 13,041,302 times
Reputation: 27604
Don't they all come from Bonnies Plant Farm? I see the same huge trucks delivering plants to Walmart, Home Depot, Murdoch's and the local garden centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,365 posts, read 3,296,236 times
Reputation: 1359
Yes, but each store prices them differently. My local Walmart carries virtually the same plants for $1-$1.50 cheaper than either HD or Lowes, but has much less selection. They're worth a look, though, because they sometimes have some real treats hidden around that you don't expect.

I, personally, find Bonnie's quality to be rather commendable for such mass production. Plants I've purchased have always been vigorous growers and bountiful producers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,787 posts, read 47,703,304 times
Reputation: 65857
All the plants sold by Home Depot are from a private contractor, who will make money or lose money according to the amount of plants sold, and the amount of plants returned. Their employees water and care for the plants. I assume Lowe's operates the same way, but I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,496 posts, read 45,274,474 times
Reputation: 47410
I don't think so. I've seen way too many plants in the trash or lined up for half price when all they needed was water or shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,473 posts, read 14,296,232 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All the plants sold by Home Depot are from a private contractor, who will make money or lose money according to the amount of plants sold, and the amount of plants returned. Their employees water and care for the plants. I assume Lowe's operates the same way, but I don't know.
No I know for sure. I asked one of the ppl in the HD garden center why they didn't have any plants on sale...you know like our BELOVED LOWES. They said they give the plants back to the grower...who eats the losses at the end of the season.

Apparently Lowes buys the plants. That's why they have end of season sales...and sometimes get good buys of some really cool plants at the end of the year, I'd guess. Lowes also was not taking very good care of their plants for a while. Occasionally I'll go in and water a plant or two because I know they're busy.

I don't know. I sincerely love the Lowes garden center. I think that the employees seem more invested in making sure the plants get to good homes. They also buy some of the plants themselves, and I really like when people can tell me that they have XYZ plant and it does so-and-so in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,496 posts, read 45,274,474 times
Reputation: 47410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
No I know for sure. I asked one of the ppl in the HD garden center why they didn't have any plants on sale...you know like our BELOVED LOWES. They said they give the plants back to the grower...who eats the losses at the end of the season.

Apparently Lowes buys the plants. That's why they have end of season sales...and sometimes get good buys of some really cool plants at the end of the year, I'd guess. Lowes also was not taking very good care of their plants for a while. Occasionally I'll go in and water a plant or two because I know they're busy.

I don't know. I sincerely love the Lowes garden center. I think that the employees seem more invested in making sure the plants get to good homes. They also buy some of the plants themselves, and I really like when people can tell me that they have XYZ plant and it does so-and-so in our area.
Seriously? I think this would not be welcome in most garden centers I patronize. Now I have found an employee and shown them plants in distress and suggested they be watered ASAP but I would never take it upon myself to do it. Think what would happen if customers decided they were going to "take care" of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,532,830 times
Reputation: 4916
I've worked in a number of garden centers, both small and large.

Big chains (name your retailer) generally will throw away tender plants if unsold, within 14 days of delivery without marking them down. No discounts. Tossed into the trash and locked.

This is because of US tax code.

If they sell declining plants at a discount they lose money even if they sell the plants for more than the plants cost them. Big retailers throw away plants (believe me they are inventoried and counted) because they can then write them off as a loss on their books at full retail price.

Let's say they pay $0.25 per petunia for 5,000 billion petunias. They retail each petunia at $.99. If they throw away a faded crappy petunia they get to write off a loss of $.99 against their other retail profits. If they sell a half crappy petunia at a discount for $.50 that's a mere .25 cent profit which loses them money. They make more money in accounting losses throwing away the petunia for a dollar.

You can thank your government tax laws for stupid stuff like that.

Small local nursery businesses cannot survive playing that kind of volume loss game. They have to care for the plants and sell them at full retail to stay alive.

Most tender bedding plants are good from the grower for no more than 2 weeks. After that they outgrow their pots, get leggy and spindly and pale. Nobody will pay full price for them.

Good local nurseries usually do business with growers and greenhouses that that the big retailers do not. Small local nurseries and their suppliers will often stock plant types big retailers won't touch because they don't sell fast enough and there is not enough demand, and the big retailer has no means of keeping the plants alive and salable beyond two weeks time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,492,248 times
Reputation: 1363
Here is the essential problem with certain sections of Home Depot.....they are dirty,dusty and the employees haven't any interest any recognition any concern for dirt or dust. Those people in my managemenent team would be given prototype tool boxes, bins and items and given a class on vision, and dusting.. Lowes is spotless both have paint that is overpriced ,but fits the clueless consumer needs of mostly women who God forbid are going to choose colors and paint.......please. Somebody help me! The Home Depot,Lowes. Sherwin Williams ol' paint scam coming to your neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,496 posts, read 45,274,474 times
Reputation: 47410
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I've worked in a number of garden centers, both small and large.

Big chains (name your retailer) generally will throw away tender plants if unsold, within 14 days of delivery without marking them down. No discounts. Tossed into the trash and locked.

This is because of US tax code.

If they sell declining plants at a discount they lose money even if they sell the plants for more than the plants cost them. Big retailers throw away plants (believe me they are inventoried and counted) because they can then write them off as a loss on their books at full retail price.

Let's say they pay $0.25 per petunia for 5,000 billion petunias. They retail each petunia at $.99. If they throw away a faded crappy petunia they get to write off a loss of $.99 against their other retail profits. If they sell a half crappy petunia at a discount for $.50 that's a mere .25 cent profit which loses them money. They make more money in accounting losses throwing away the petunia for a dollar.

You can thank your government tax laws for stupid stuff like that.

Small local nursery businesses cannot survive playing that kind of volume loss game. They have to care for the plants and sell them at full retail to stay alive.

Most tender bedding plants are good from the grower for no more than 2 weeks. After that they outgrow their pots, get leggy and spindly and pale. Nobody will pay full price for them.

Good local nurseries usually do business with growers and greenhouses that that the big retailers do not. Small local nurseries and their suppliers will often stock plant types big retailers won't touch because they don't sell fast enough and there is not enough demand, and the big retailer has no means of keeping the plants alive and salable beyond two weeks time.
Which is exactly why I choose to shop at local small nurseries. I can get unusual plants without hzaving to have them shipped from 16 states away and I am helping a local family and employees earn a living, pay taxes back into my community and stay in business. It's win/win all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top