U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:34 AM

40,276 posts, read 49,671,748 times

Advertisements

There's really no difference between HD and Lowes as far as quality of the plants when they arrive at those stores. The plants come from the same vendors. The problem is the quality of care that the employees do to keep the plants looking good. And generally 9 out of 10 garden employees have no nursery or plant experience.
And as far as those plants the stores have in stock that are not indigenous to the area and die is because so many people from out of the area moving here ask for them, that's what they grew back home and are used to. The stores will accompany them if enough people ask for them. Then it's buyer beware as they learn a lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:11 AM

3,297 posts, read 2,196,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do buy plants from a local grower if possible. We buy annual closeout / overstock during off season. Local plants are usually far more Hardy and will not be dwarfed for many years, as will a non-native variety.

Transplant early in AM or after dusk. Less shock.
The ONE time we bought from a local grower, everything was diseased and spread the 'joy' to our other plants. Never again.

Old Today, 07:56 AM

38,792 posts, read 47,703,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Personally, I'm not buying tomato plants at Lowe's anymore - while they might be a better price, they have problems. For the last couple yrs. the plants from Lowe's have either just plain not done well, they've gotten horn worms (eek), etc. Unfortunately, there is a variety that is my fav. and is always sold out at H.D. so I've gone to Lowe's for it but not anymore, might as well throw my money away.
Hornworms come from moths that come during the night. You can’t really avoid them unless the plants were always tented. If you are buying heirloom varieties that are not resistant to wilt or other plant diseases, then you are doomed to fail. The DIY stores may be guilty of stocking susceptible varieties, or not marking them well enough, but it’s our fault for buying them.

Old Today, 01:11 PM

24,942 posts, read 16,048,712 times
In my experience, they sell the same plants, and I don’t see much difference, except that I think Lowes carrues more varieties of things. Check both places out when you are buying plants, or start at the most convenient place.

For really nice, out of the ordinary plants, check out your local nursery. They’ll likely have the nicest choices, but also can help you with questions. Help with planting questions is not either big box store’s strong point.

Old Today, 01:17 PM

24,011 posts, read 30,942,377 times
I don't see any difference. The trick is to get there soon after the plants arrive and before they are under the tender care of minimum wages clerks for too long.

If you are on the West coast BiMart is a good place to buy. My best bareroot fruit trees have come from BiMart, and petunias from there thrive. But again, get there when the plants arrive. BiMart never has a big selection: veggie starts bedding plants in season, and bare root fruit trees.

Costco sells some good bare root fruit trees, but the bags of bulbs are hit and miss.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

24,942 posts, read 16,048,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't see any difference. The trick is to get there soon after the plants arrive and before they are under the tender care of minimum wages clerks for too long.

If you are on the West coast BiMart is a good place to buy. My best bareroot fruit trees have come from BiMart, and petunias from there thrive. But again, get there when the plants arrive. BiMart never has a big selection: veggie starts bedding plants in season, and bare root fruit trees.

Costco sells some good bare root fruit trees, but the bags of bulbs are hit and miss.
I am on the West Coast, and I enjoy visiting Fred Meyer’s nursery department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or