U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM

131 posts, read 106,422 times

Advertisements

For the quality of plants, is Home Depot or Lowes better? I just need small plants that I can just take out of those plastic cups and put em in the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,732,350 times
They seem about the same to me, I think the bigger question is the quality of the staff that are in charge of watering them.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,493,908 times
I have done better at Lowes. The prices and selection are better. Also by me they have a clearance rack where you can get plants for $1, often they are on clearance because they have already bloomed. I bought 2 lantana that now look beautiful.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,694,184 times
They are both okay... but a local greenhouse is better.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,169 posts, read 56,785,610 times
Read the labels, and you will likely find that the both sell plants from the exact same source. It's rare for me to buy anything more than maybe some cheap spring color annuals from them, I normally pay more to use a good local nursery. In fact this weekend we'll be driving 3 hours to go to my favorite in Oregon, Portland Nursery.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,231,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I have done better at Lowes. The prices and selection are better. Also by me they have a clearance rack where you can get plants for $1, often they are on clearance because they have already bloomed. I bought 2 lantana that now look beautiful.
DITTO pls at my Lowes, the garden center manager is a gardener! The employees also buy the plants. I've not found this to be the case at HD, which I also love. HD did have a RARE plant I've wanted for a pretty LOW price this year, though.

Hemlock good for you living over there on the West coast. At my local nurseries, the employees usually are not really knowledgeable about plants...sad to say. They've given me some bad information. Lowes is actually better.

I've gotten better (and cheaper) plants at the Lowes and HD in my area. For instance, some nice and hard-to-find junipers. I LOVE chartreuse plants, and last year I got magic carpet really cheap. Plus some cold-hardy camellias CHEAP. I can't even tell you what I got this year for UNDER 30 BUCKS. One cultivar of a native that I had COVETED in 3-4 foot size. It is one of those plants that grows slowly...that price was OUT OF THIS WORLD. And the plants...as usual...are in good condition.

Some of the plants I get at HD and Lowes are usually in smaller pots than the nurseries..but this works out well for me. It is hard for me carry a gigantic container full of soil since I do a LOT of planting. It is hard to dig big planting holes, and a gallon versus 3 or 7 gallon plant seems to take hold more quickly in some cases.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM

36,496 posts, read 44,984,913 times
It's just like gasoline. One big tanker goes from station to station with the same gas. i followed a Bonnie (plants) truck to 3 different garden centers. Same plants everywhere.

Now some centers have imbeciles who don't know the difference between a pansy and a potato and some actually hire knowledgeable people. Go after the place with the older employees. They have the practical experience. or better yet spend your money at local family owned nurseries. We are losing them right and left to big box stores. Shame on all of us.l

Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 AM

23,741 posts, read 30,507,223 times
It's going to differ from store to store. Locally, they are about the same, but it is best to get there right when the plants are delivered and you need to know what will grow well in your area and what won't.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:39 AM

71,404 posts, read 53,841,186 times
I don't call them Home Cheapo for nothing.

They are horrible at everything. Lumber is warped. Boxed on shelves are open or re-taped. And take note of the returns... I see a lot of plants & trees being returned. Sure you can get lucky at times, but the quality and choices are better at Lowes

Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 19,164,896 times
Again, I believe it depends upon how well the local stores are managed. Our HD and Lowes are across the street from each other and each has their own unique gifts. The trick is recognizing which is better for what.

Last week I bought a garden cart at Lowes online to be picked up at the store. It said the order was processing and should be ready later that day. Kind of impatient (was attending garden fair the next day), I dropped in, only to be told my order was canceled. By who? I was told by the person that handles the orders. I asked when I was going to be notified.....which still has not happened. I drove across the street, got the identical product at HD.

Lowes has more tropicals, but HD will sell the same Knockout Roses for $4 less. Not a big difference unless you're buying more than one. (Try 6). It could all change next week, just as the people will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or