Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 38,638 times

Advertisements

Anyone have some good thoughts on shrubs for this bed? I intend to take the rhododendron out as it grew sideways. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Shrub bed ideas-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM

This is in connecticut.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Is that your front yard? Do you want a barrier from the street or just something decorative? Flowering or not?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Is that your front yard? Do you want a barrier from the street or just something decorative? Flowering or not?

Yes it is the front. Something decorative. Flowering is nice. I was thinking a Japanese maple and some small shrubs.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
OP have you planted anything yet? You may want to test the soil. As for sun...it looks like a full sun area. Here are my suggestions:
1. Flowering cherry - Get a cold-hardy deciduous one. I've read on one of the blogs I frequent that sargentii type cherries have proven to be pretty disease resistant. Early spring blooms and fall color.

2. Weigela - I love these. Because I don't have one! They are in the honeysuckle family, I believe and like soil more on the sweet side. You can pick from flower colors from yellow to pink to red (or mixes) and foliage from pale green to almost black or variegated foliage.

3. Diervilla Sessilifolia - Kodiak Orange. Proven winners sells this. It is native.

4. Panicum Virgatum - This is a native grass. The Northwind cultivar stands straight up in the air. There are others with red foliage and other ornamental qualities. I'd say mix it up.

You can add a Japanese maple, but many will burn and be unhappy in full, hot sun. If that is what you have, you can check for a more sun-tolerant cultivar such as acer palmatum "Trompenburg." This was in one of my issues of fine gardening as a recommended dark-leaved Japanese maple.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times
What Zone are you in? I would think that with the moderating influence from the Atlantic Ocean you might be in at least a zone 6, possibly a Borderline Zone 7 if you are located closer to the coast? What part of Connecticut are you situated in? These questions once answered will determine which shrubs could be given considerations for planting in your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden