Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 PM

423 posts, read 457,888 times

Advertisements

I'm fed up with my Blackmax lawn mower(from Sam's Club). It's got a Honda motor which is great but everything else is junk.

In the market for a new one. Just mowed the lawn so I've got a few weeks to look around. I stopped by Home Depot today looking for a Toro Recycler 20333(model with blade brake). They don't have any in stock. They are RWD with a 190cc B&S motor. So I went to Lowes and found the closest match, which is a Husqvarna HU700H, which is also RWD but has a 160cc Honda motor. They also have an AWD model with the same 190cc B&S as the Toro.

Looking at the Husky, the deck look very similar to my old Blackmax.

Are Husqvarna mowers any good? My choices are to either wait a few weeks and hope the local HD gets a shipment of Toro 20333s or get a Husqvarna RWD Honda/AWD B&S right now.

Also saw a Troy Bilt TB360 that was marked as commercial power, which will work great for me(mow lawns on 3 rental properties), but I hear TBs are complete junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Go where the pros buy their machines. If your city has both a Lowes and a Home Depot they will have a few commercial equipment shops. See who sell the local Stihl products and go there.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
I went through several cheap lawnmowers that ran well. The problem was the cheap wheels. They would start flopping around after about a year. I looked around until I found a Honda with ball bearing wheels. I've had it less than a year but I'm satisfied so far.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,616 times
I just bought this one from home depot:

Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA - The Home Depot

I was between this and the Toro Recycler. I went with the Honda, primarily because its a Honda. I didnt care that it had rear wheel drive or twin cutting blades when i bought it. I just wanted a machine that would last a while and do a decent job.

I was even more impressed when I got home and went to use it. The variable speed controls are nice, its like thumb throttles, essentially makes the machine a personal pace mower. the twin cutting blades did such a good job cutting the grass that the clippings are so fine you probably will not bag the lawn as often. (one of the reviews i read also said that the twin cutting blades chop up the grass so fine that it packs the bag better for less emptying)

They have another model for 100$ more that has the blade stop feature. to me this isnt really worth it as the mower is easy to start and the twin blades keeps the bag emptying down.

I really am impressed with this mower hence my glowing review. ha

The rear wheel drive is a nice addition too. AWD seems unnecessary to me and sounds like another thing that will break.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden