U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM

8,642 posts, read 11,524,809 times

Advertisements

Also, buy the support ring and put it over the plant now before it starts to shoot up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,395,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I've got one peony growing, the only surviver of a row of peonies. I want to add to/replace that row but not just with peonies. I've added some rose campion and that's as far as I've gotten. I have a couple of rhubarb plants I'll put in but (ok-here's the question):

How close or far away does a another peony have to be for pollination? I love peonies. I want lots and lots.
I'm afraid to ask...what happened to the other peonies? I've studied peonies a little, since I also LOVE them and are you asking about a pollinator because you want plants from seed?

Making Peony Babies

Not all peonies have fertile flowers. In fact some of the ones that produce seed are VERY valuable because hybridizers want to use them to make new crosses and potentially big profits. The way that most home gardeners make new peonies is by dividing them. Where I live, the best time to do this is fall, when it is cool. You can find out how in a gardening book or magazine, or via an online search.

Good Peony Companions

I'm in MD. Here are some of the combos that seem nice to me:

1. Roses - Mine bloom at the same time as the peonies. This GORGEOUS. Since the flowers are all double, it looks very romantic.

2. Philadelphus - Anohter romantic combination. There are also dwarf philadelphus if the regular size is too big for you. Fragrant and beautiful flowers that also bloom at the same time as my peonies.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM

36,502 posts, read 45,685,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I plan to transplant/move my mother's three peony plants to my own house later this year (someone told me August is best)... Anything I should know? The new location isn't particularly sunny. Also no green thumb here!
They are extremely difficult to transplant. Most don't get enough rootball and replant too deep. Do lots of research about your area, zone, and how to transplant before you set out. You might hire someone with experience to help you. It would be a shame to lose them.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM

5,268 posts, read 4,569,166 times
Once you get a happy peony clump, do not fool with it. I learned that the hard way. Peonies & daylilies seem to thrive in same area of my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden