U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,288,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It seems late to be planting now anyway, taking more weeks will make it hard to get much of a yield before the fall. I a small tiller like the Mantis is not allowed, it will just have to be done by hand and spade. There is no easy, fast way without power tools. Next year, you can put down several layers of newspaper with some soil to hold it down and prevent weeds, then the paper breaks down into the soil in spring.
Not sure where OP is from, but in the Northeast, planting is traditionally done on Memorial Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

3,588 posts, read 4,844,019 times
If you pull and remove, why cover? Is it to keep errant weed and grass seeds from landing in the area until you are ready to use it?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM

5,316 posts, read 4,653,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
If you pull and remove, why cover? Is it to keep errant weed and grass seeds from landing in the area until you are ready to use it?
Yes. Especially since this plot is a weed fest. At the end of the growing season after all old garden matter is turned back into the soil, a hand seeding of winter rye will help keep early weeds from getting crazy next year.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM

9,840 posts, read 3,638,525 times
As a actual expert with 4 years of 3rd level and much more in the field the answer is simple.

clear it by hand with a fork add some fertilizer and organic matter and go ahead and plant. As I said before planting through strips of permeable membrane will help keep the area directly around your young plants clear. You can fool around with fashionable cardboard or whatever nonsense you like, but the important part is digging and clearing with some mulch or fabric etc around the plant bases because unless you use chemicals they will be swamped with weeds.

Next year you can go to town prepping your site.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM

7,484 posts, read 5,936,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
As a actual expert with 4 years of 3rd level and much more in the field the answer is simple.

clear it by hand with a fork add some fertilizer and organic matter and go ahead and plant. As I said before planting through strips of permeable membrane will help keep the area directly around your young plants clear. You can fool around with fashionable cardboard or whatever nonsense you like, but the important part is digging and clearing with some mulch or fabric etc around the plant bases because unless you use chemicals they will be swamped with weeds.

Next year you can go to town prepping your site.
Yea, cardboard never worked for me. Did an experiment with plastic too - nada. Weeds still there and had to be pulled out.

pull em out and mulch!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM

225 posts, read 331,550 times
Just going to throw my two cents in. This year may be a bust. If you can keep the plot year after year then think long term. This year is about cleaning the plot so that you can work it next year.

Just to get a little something done this year use some sort of cheap container and soil to at least grow a little something while you work your plan to get rid of the weeds. If it is allowed.....don't laugh...... throw some old carpet over the plot and wait. That will smoother just about anything under it and it's weight makes it impossible for anything to grow up though it. It won't break down in bad weather.
You can even put your containers over top of it and get growing.

For your containers they can be anything from those reusable shopping bags you get at the store for a buck to buckets. Heck I have even seen people buy a bag of dirt punch some holes it and go at it. No need for anything fancy and found stuff works best for this temporary fix. Then spend time time doing research and talking to experienced gardeners so that you are ready for next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATC3rG6NbQ

Last edited by cattusbabe; 05-25-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,622,356 times
Find a hungry Goat or Donkey. Stake him out right in the middle of the 20' x 20'with a three foot rope. Add six inches when those weeds are cleared. Not only will this get rid of your weeds but you have fertilizer also. In less than a week you should be weed free.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM

3,588 posts, read 4,844,019 times
I have two raised beds with some plantings. I went out there this evening and pulled hundreds of little weed sprouts. Is this normal? The back of my yard abuts a vacant lot whose owner does not cut the grass and weeds. If I cover the areas between the plants, will that help with my weeding?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:52 PM

225 posts, read 331,550 times
Weeding is just a fact of gardening life. You always have some. I use a halo hoe and go at them. Easier than stooping and picking them.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:34 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,357,602 times
I agree with the others, weed the area, till the soil, put down some kind of barrier, then mulch. My friend bought some bags of potting soil, placed them on top of the mulch, slit the bags open and planted her plants in the bags of top soil. It sounds silly, but she got lovely tomatoes and other veggies using this method. Plus it'll give you time to kill all the weeds and have the plot ready for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or