U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,815,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is a great leaf blower. But he/she doesn't have a very big lot and the cheap electric will do most of their choirs + they don't have to worry about storage or gas and oil.

As far as accessories; that Stihl doesn't take the leaf vacuum accessory - but I honestly don't think those vacuums are worth the effort. If the OP has just one small push rotary mower they can mulch most of their leaves and use that to 'rake' up the piles or use a bagger attachment on the lawnmower. I do consider gas walk behind mowers and riding tractors better leaf removal tools than leaf blower vacuum attachments and they also do a better job than most homeowner mulchers/shedders.

We do not know if the OP has problems with leaves in their gutters. It does look like they are worried about the leaves. Extensions, for the leaf blowers, could be a consideration if that is the case.
I think this bg55 is small and compact enough to be a very useful blowing tool for the homeowner.

I have a small 2 gal can of mix and with the little pre measured bottles for two gal it's real easy to get the proper 50:1 solution. I suspect that two gallon would last most of the season as these style of blower is very economical on gas. While not as powerful as the six 600 magnums backpacks my crews use It's got a ton of power for the size best In class I'd say.

Yup the vacuum kit is usable on the 55. Eventhough I don't use one my self.

STIHL Vacuum Kits - Back Pack Sprayer Parts | STIHL USA Mobile

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-28-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 PM

16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I think this bg55 is small and compact enough to be a very useful blowing tool for the homeowner.

I have a small 2 gal can of mix and with the little pre measured bottles for two gal it's real easy to get the proper 50:1 solution. I suspect that two gallon would last most of the season as these style of blower is very economical on gas. While not as powerful as the six 600 magnums backpacks my crews use It's got a ton of power for the size best In class I'd say.

Yup the vacuum kit is usable on the 55. Eventhough I don't use one my self.

STIHL Vacuum Kits - Back Pack Sprayer Parts | STIHL USA Mobile
I like the gas powered blowers best but that is because of the size of my five acre property. the cheap Toro is probably a good start for somebody with the 0.3 acres. Those electrics do have some benefits over the gas. Since I love to clean out my truck with the leaf blower; my wife can always tell when I use the gas blower - she has asthma! I also like the electric to blow out the garage - no smell in the house. It is also great for our computers - just take the side panels off and blow them off outside once a year (sure beats that can of compressed air).

I just got a new electric Toro from the company for free. My old one blew up and I caught the recall. Supposedly the new impellers made in Mexico don't blow up like the ones made in Texas. But I cannot complain - I got the first one for free as a "safety" award and I did have it for over a decade. I cannot complain about the free safety award that only blows up after you use it for a decade and then they give you a new one!

PS Toro recall: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2007/...ctile-Hazards/

Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM

641 posts, read 1,417,390 times
Ok. I bought the $56 225 mph Toro electric blower. While it is good for the garage and pathways, it does not work well to blow/clean the lawn particularly cleaning up the pine straws. My lawn has lot of these pine straws all around.

Looks like I need to rely on the leaf rakes to clean up these pine straws.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,417,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Ok. I bought the $56 225 mph Toro electric blower. While it is good for the garage and pathways, it does not work well to blow/clean the lawn particularly cleaning up the pine straws. My lawn has lot of these pine straws all around.

I did not try using the vacuum with the blower... It would be interesting to see if the vacuum sucks the pine straws into the bag

Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,261,363 times
Quote:
I did not try using the vacuum with the blower... It would be interesting to see if the vacuum sucks the pine straws into the bag
Take it from a former Georgia girl....a blower won't work very well for pine straw. The best bet is to rake it into the shrubbery beds for mulch.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 AM

16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
Quote:

Take it from dlking58; even the best do not do great on any pine needles. Blowers work best where they have the larger surface area of leaves. They also don't work on spider webs! If the pine needles are very dry you might have some luck. Even wet leaves can be a problem for the blowers - just wait until they dry out; they can also give lawnmower bagging attachments trouble.

You should have told us about the pine needles. Do you have a gas (only because I prefer gas) push mower? Mowing will help you get the upper hand on the needles. You could mulch them or bag them depending on your equipment.

The idea with blowers is not to do all the work. Use your mower to do the mowing; but first push out or rake out needles and leaves from around the buildings, trees, bushes, and edges. Then use your mower to mulch or collect the leaves and needles.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:43 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,815,433 times
Some tasks still take two pairs of hands, rolled up sleeves and sweat on the brow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or