Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 06:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,751,194 times

Advertisements

Please advise on what are Weed Eating Tools? What are their importance?

What is the difference between trimmer/edger and weed eaters, as I do not see Weed Eater as a tool in Home Depot/Lowes web site.

Is there any mower out there, that does the job of weed eater as well?

Could you suggest good weed eating tools for about 0.3 acre lot size, with about 50% covered with building/concrete/pathways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I think what you really want is a string trimmer. String Trimmers - Trimmers & Edgers -*The Home Depot

A piece of plastic 'string' spins around horizontal to the ground and cuts what it can. You just run the business end of the trimmer along the ground and it whacks through weeds. You have to continually feed more string out from the spool because it breaks off frequently. Some do have a plastic blade which is tougher, Weed Eater is just a brand name. The weeds don't get eaten.

An edger is different, it has a wheel or blade that makes a vertical cut along the edge of concrete or brick. you can use a String trimmer for this purpose if you hold it at the proper angle.

My lot is about .3 acres and I have an electric trimmer. I prefer the electrical cord to dealing with gas.

a mower just cant get into those crevices the same way as a trimmer.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I too recommend a string trimmer as Stagemomma has suggested. And for such a small area, I would recommend an electric string trimmer with an extension cord over a gas motor trimmer. The two cycle gas engines found on string trimmers (where you mix your oil and gas) can be a real headache year to year as the tiny carburetors are notorious for gumming up when you leave gas in them after the cutting season. Then too a long electric extension cord is easier, and safer, to store than 5 gallons of 40:1 oil/gas mixture.

I use a motorized string trimmer here at our home only because we have several acres around the house and barns and an extension cord becomes impractical. It is a pain to get going each year though.

Just be careful. Even small string trimmers can sometimes cut a pet, a foot or a hand, small telephone or AC electrical wires, or other things you don't want to cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden