U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 PM

4,949 posts, read 4,422,743 times

Advertisements

Get a Toro Personal Pace gas powered mulching mower with electric push start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 AM

6,043 posts, read 5,618,156 times
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my battery powered electric mower. It's quiet, easy to start, and easy to push. I have a Black and Decker, and it does my whole 60 x 140' yard on one charge. I don't remember how much it cost, but I think around $300 or so.

I also use a battery powered weed whacker, which I love too.

Make sure you get one with mulching capability; there's nothing sillier than bagging grass.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:06 AM

12,383 posts, read 9,446,016 times
Sears has rebuilt mowers that are affordable AND you can purchase the warranty and they will change your plugs, blade, etc on it.

GO SELF PROPELLED!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:38 AM

16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
At Lowe's you can start off with the gas powered push mower/with bagging attachment for about $180 and then you can go up in price from there: Shop Push Lawn Mowers at Lowes.com#!.

Much of your selection will depend on your health and availability of storage for your mower. Many will encourage you to get the human powered push mowers - but they are work and do not mulch. The battery powered mowers are getting better and you do have a small lawn - but their power is limited and mulching heavy needles/leaves could wear down the batteries. Corded, electric, mowers have the limitations of the cord - like your leaf blower + you have to worry about mowing over the cord.

That is why I would suggest the gas - but you need more storage space. Gas mowers cannot be hung on the wall; the gas or oil will leak out. So, whatever floor space they occupy when purchased; that is how much space you need.

As far as how much suction the gas mower has: Look at the blade. The flatter the blade; the less suction. You could ask a salesman to till the mower so you can look. The more suction you have; the quicker you get the needle/leaf picking up done - if you are using the bagging attachment.

You could simply 'mulch' your needles and leaves by just mowing over them multiple times. I usually try to always start mowing on the outside and have the mower discharge into the middle of the circle - but that does not work on very heavy leaves and organic matter (depending on the size of our motor).

As far as I know (I have been out of business for forty years); all mowers still have the maximum blade tip speed of 1900 feet per minute (if I remember correctly). That means, no matter how big the motor; that the blade still moves at the same speed. The reason our government set that speed is because of flying objects - they don't want mowers to hit people walking by with rocks or other hard objects. The only reason I mention this is because the horse power of the mowers has more to do with the torque and whether or not the mower will bog down in heavy grass.

Anyway; good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:43 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,591,693 times
I have a gas-powered Husqvarna as well, and highly recommend it. Husqvarna makes an excellent weed eater, too. Yes, it's a bit pricy, but you won't have to replace it in two years, either.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 941,109 times
It's one of those things that speaking to you at your home would allow me to suggest what you need for yard maintenance in 5 minutes.

I have a 21", front-wheel-drive, self-propelled Toro gas mower and an electric EdgeHog edger. No string trimmer.

My yards are basically flat with no obstacles other than the three oak trees in the backyard. Front yard is roughly 60x20 and the back yard is roughly 70x300. I bag everything (set out for recycling) since I feel that everything that doesn't get picked up is enough mulch for the yard. Edgehog is for the front yard perimeter. Been a while since I've timed myself for doing both yards, but I would say hour-15.

Everything that MacInTx said, plus:

Budget - You just bought a house. How much can you afford to spend on equipment?
Time - How much time do you want to allot for yard maintenance per week?
Storage - Where are you planning to keep all said equipment?
Maintenance - Gas mowers will need some loving every now and again. String trimmers need to be reloaded. Edgers need new blades. It's nothing complex and can be done by yourself or a shop can do it for you.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,948 times
nobody has asked what kind of grass you have?? seems like it would also depend on that?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 AM

12,939 posts, read 16,482,254 times
For standard lawns I used a plain Scotts reel mower. Easy to maintain, easy to cut, started every time. I cut about .25 acres twice a week with it, efficiently.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:14 AM

800 posts, read 1,039,022 times
i recently bought an EGO electric lawn mower from home depot after extensive reviews. overall, there has been very little negative press for this mower and my use so far. (4 cuts) has been great, the battery lasts for the entire mow on my .3 acre property and i havnt seen it struggle at all cutting even my first mow which was some grass 5-6' tall. battery charges in 30 minute back to full giving you about 45 minutes of mowing time. i also got the rest of the electric products from that brand as batteries are interchangable

Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM

641 posts, read 1,417,390 times
I have decided not to buy lawn mower/edger for now and get professional help at least for a year...

I had some one come and mow/cut edges for $25 and I am planning to re do this on a monthly basis until Nov

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or