Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM

45,035 posts, read 60,063,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have decided not to buy lawn mower/edger for now and get professional help at least for a year...

I had some one come and mow/cut edges for $25 and I am planning to re do this on a monthly basis until Nov

Thanks!
Monthly? Who will you sell the hay bales to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,472,228 times
Toro. I wouldn't buy anything else when it comes to gas push mowers. The Personal Pace is nice and about $300-$450 if I am not mistaken depending if you want high wheel, electric start, etc. Those are RWD, and they do offer a slightly cheaper FWD vairable speed model that is not Personal Pace. The PP is basically a large plastic grip on the top of the handlebar that slides depending on how much force you exert while walking thus moving at exactly the pace you do at all times. Unlike a simpler bar that either goes or doesn't (the cheaper model).

My father had a Toro PP when I was in high school (15 years ago) and my brother has had his for at least 10 years. Mine has been in operation for 6 although has been moved to different duties now. I upgraded when we moved to a larger home with an acre to a John Deere D105 and the Toro is now my deep thatcher.

For other models, Craftsman and Murray are so so IMO and Honda's are nice but pricey. Toro's are simple and easy to maintain and even better easy to get parts for regardless of model. To me they are the Weber grill of the push mower category.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,413,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have decided not to buy lawn mower/edger for now and get professional help at least for a year...

I had some one come and mow/cut edges for $25 and I am planning to re do this on a monthly basis until Nov

Thanks!
Hopefully, with time, your therapist will be able to point you in the right direction of your lawn care needs.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:16 PM

8,077 posts, read 10,013,902 times
Monthly basis...as in you contract them/pay them once a month? Or they mow once a month, which is likely too little--especially in the early part of the summer when once a week is necessary?

IF you decide to purchase a mower and do it yourself, "it all depends" on your desire for quality versus price.

Some folks will buy a Sears/Craftsman, use it for a few years, and junk it.

Others will buy a Honda, and expect it to last a lifetime--as it should.

I am in the latter camp. Honda self propelled, 21inch.

Some like the Toro...Personal Pace, but as a person with a bad back, I find it to be painful. You "push" on the mower to make it go, so you are always giving it a little nudge, which kills the lower back.

Most other self propelled mowers work on the basis of you "squeezing" a level and the mower "pulls" you along.

In the better quality category you start with Honda, then have Toro and Snapper.

Deal with a local shop which sells first quality product (Big Box stores sell the "brand", but it is manufactured to a "price point/lower standard) and will cost you a little more, but they will provide service and be there if things go wrong.

Mowing grass is easy, and done well, is actually quite satisfying. A good time for contemplation as you go along on a nice day.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,484,237 times
Just bought Snapper $329 model 7800927 at my local Ag supply store. It is gas, front wheel drive--self propelled, larger rear tires, and has bagger. It is a nice walk behind mower, does decent job, & is quieter than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden