Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:31 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

I am a new house owner (been renter all these years) and I need to mow my lawn of size 6500 Sq. Ft (0.15 acre).

I see there are different types of mowers such as Gas, Battery, Corded Electric... Which type would be easy to operate and at the same time robust and economical.

please suggest a good, economical and efficient mower that could mow the yard neatly with out much physical strain in using it.

Also are weed eaters different from the mower or the mower does the job of weed eater as well?

Also what is the difference between trimmer/edger and weed eaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 02:36 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am a new house owner (been renter all these years) and I need to mow my lawn of size 6500 Sq. Ft (0.15 acre).

I see there are different types of mowers such as Gas, Battery, Corded Electric... Which type would be easy to operate and at the same time robust and economical.

please suggest a good, economical and efficient mower that could mow the yard neatly with out much physical strain in using it.
Is that the total lot size or the size of just the lawn?

Gas is the default choice for me.
Battery ones are getting better.
Corded ones are a pain because of the cord.

If you don't mind the exercise and are physically able an old fashioned reel push mower could work (flat yard). The problem with those is you have to keep on top of the mowing, sometimes twice a week.

My oldest daughter cut her 1+acre yard with a reel mower-for one year. She then got a gas powered mower. And wrecked it hitting a partially buried 1 inch piece of rebar. Replaced it with a gas mower.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is that the total lot size or the size of just the lawn?
Yes 6500 Sq. Ft (0.15 acre) is the size of the lawn.... Total lot is 0.3 acres of size

Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Yes 6500 Sq. Ft (0.15 acre) is the size of the lawn.... Total lot is 0.3 acres of size
Riding, LOL

But seriously, we have a gas-powered Husqvarna that will last forever.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 PM

I see there are different options
Lawn Mower Type: Push vs. Self Propelled vs. Commercial vs. Reel vs. Robotic vs. Field
Power Type: Battery vs. Corded Electric vs. Gas vs. Hybrid
Engine: Briggs and Stratton vs. Honda vs. Kohler vs. Kawaski vs OEM vs. Subaru
Cutting Options: Bag vs. Mulch vs. Side-Discharge...
Brand
Price: $70 to $4000
Bagger: Yes vs. No
Cutting Width: 14 in to 20 in

Wondering what would be a good option for me to choose?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:35 PM

I am wondering if the Gas Push Mower is a good way to go...

If so, I have the following options in the stores nearby

Shop Gas Push Lawn Mowers at Lowes.com

*The Home Depot

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
I am wondering if the Gas Push Mower is a good way to go...

If so, I have the following options in the stores nearby

Shop Gas Push Lawn Mowers at Lowes.com

*The Home Depot
I have used an electric push mower for 35 years (this is the 3rd one) and have never had one problem. After a time or two mowing, flipping the power cord over one row becomes second nature. You never have to worry about running out of gas in the middle of a job. Plus there is absolutely no maintenance required with the motor.

My hedge clipper, edger and blower are also electric.

All made by Black and Decker.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,000,575 times
I say go for a $4,000 zero-turn. Go big or go home.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
In what part of the country do you live? How long is your growing season? How much of your yard is landscaped (flower beds, scrubs, etc.)? How much curb, sidewalk, and driveway concrete do you have? Is your lawn flat or sloped? Do you have any ditches? What type of grass (St Augustine, Bermuda, etc.) constitutes your lawn?

Answers to all of these questions should play into your decision - gas vs electric vs battery. With your yard size, I'd be tempted to recommend a push mower over a self-propelled, but that would be influenced by terrain and your fitness level.

An edger typically has a vertical steel blade for trimming along a concrete edge. An edger would not work well trimming around trees or shrubs unless you want to cut an outline in the surrounding grass.

A string trimmer (WeedEater is a brand name) uses a fast-spinning plastic/nylon line to cut through grass. This tool can be used in both a horizontal and a vertical orientation, although it can be hard to control in the vertical position. You'll get a straighter edge with an edger than with a string trimmer, but the string trimmer is more versatile.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
I have just invested in a gas push mower by Craftsman, it was cheap (under $200), its easy to start and pushes very easily. My back yard is about double what you mow and I also mow my front yard. We have a riding mower for the other 2+ acres.

My advice would be to look at 20 or 22 inch cut mowers that will be easy to push/walk and easy to manoever around obstacles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden