Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:09 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times

Advertisements

Where does this oddly curving walkway go to?

Also, is it an optical illusion or are the bricks very uneven in height? They look very "trip" inducing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
OMG what in the heck are some you people talking about.

OP this is what is called not throwing good money after bad.

Plant some shrubs or flowers along the walkway and leave well enough alone. Maybe some lighting or other architectural items.

Get a large stone for that first step up to the porch. You can find several that would be a good transition from the color of the walkway to the color of the porch steps.

Oh and trim up those bushes in front of the porch. That would make the whole area look a lot better.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-31-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
IMO, It's a terrible looking walkway, it lacks symmetry. You have 4 leading lines all the way to the house. It looks like an amateur installation. I would start all over with a professional installation. If not, have someone come in and lay bricks on both sides of the walkway. You will need concrete footing for the bricks, or hide it with shrubs on both sides. I personally could not live with this walkway.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 PM

41 posts, read 104,813 times
Lots of varying opinions. Great suggestions but still as confused as ever. All of these, and any more to follow are much appreciated. This is how decisions get hashed out I think. Txfriend says it's terrible and start over, and others say just add a few enhancements and keep on trucking.

I see both sides. Initially I was on the tear it up and start over side. But then I am trying to get the house and yard prepared for sale and in the end you can only do so much. Money, like time, is fungible - whatever I spend on this could also have be spent on something else - so decisions have to be made. It's a job just trying to decide the appropriate dedication of resources.

Thanks all...keep the dialogue coming.....

Old 05-31-2015, 02:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
What did you decide to do about the quarter step next to the stairway? I'd wait until that's fixed to do anything else labor intensive. If that's not going to be fixed, go with the bare minimum in typing the color in. Odds are whomever buys the house will want to fix the quarter step and remove part of the walkway in the process.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:42 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Vandiver View Post
Lots of varying opinions. Great suggestions but still as confused as ever. All of these, and any more to follow are much appreciated. This is how decisions get hashed out I think. Txfriend says it's terrible and start over, and others say just add a few enhancements and keep on trucking.

I see both sides. Initially I was on the tear it up and start over side. But then I am trying to get the house and yard prepared for sale and in the end you can only do so much. Money, like time, is fungible - whatever I spend on this could also have be spent on something else - so decisions have to be made. It's a job just trying to decide the appropriate dedication of resources.

Thanks all...keep the dialogue coming.....

Sorry, I had no idea the house is for sale. In that case, trim the shrubs, clean up the front, place some planters with flowers near the step and call it a day.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
What did you decide to do about the quarter step next to the stairway?
I have a "hardscape" person coming tomorrow. I think I want it peeled back, built up and relaid to where the last step meets the brick steps. I'll see if they have another idea.

The moral of this story, as if I needed to learn it once again: be present at least daily when anyone is doing work on your house. I was out of the country and was trying to get the house ready for sale. The walkway didn't workout. I only paid partially, mainly because there was no finalization of our agreement and he didn't do what we discussed. (As discussed in the other thread). So the bottom line is that if scrapped it completely, even if I removed it an dstarted over, I wouldn't be out that much, but still, that lesson is learned again.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Sorry, I had no idea the house is for sale. In that case, trim the shrubs, clean up the front, place some planters with flowers near the step and call it a day.
Yes maybe so. Still, if people come look at the house and the walkway detracts it's all the same.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I think that once you get the area cleaned up and some red added, it will no longer be a problem for most buyers. If they bulk, give them a "sidewalk allowance" at the closing.

Honestly, I've seen much worse problems, like the idiot who started peeling off the siding and re-doing the exterior with recycled brick from an old school house that was torn down. It wasn't a bad concept, but the brick was in bad shape and the guy used foam to fill in the interior space, which started a condensation/mold problem on the interior.

He would've been further ahead to gently power wash the siding and call it a day.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
At this point it would be easier to paint the steps. I would have made the contractor put in the correct ones. But, you do not want to paint all those walkway stones....too much upkeep. Have you checked on having them stained....??

EDIT: I see you are selling....Do not waste your time painting those walkway pavers....Paint the steps a grey slightly darker than the walkway....it will tie in your black shutters, and look fine. Put a couple of medium size planters with flowers or greenery on either side of the porch steps...Call it good. It looks fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden