U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,368 posts, read 3,327,344 times
Reputation: 1369

Advertisements

So, in my usual daily rounds of garden videos on Youtube, I saw an ad for the Ego Power+ lawn mower featured in the video below (I found this an entertaining and useful video).

Does anyone have any experience with this particular mower? I currently have a 10-year-old Honda gas mower that serves me beautifully, but I wouldn't be opposed to replacing it with something quieter, more space conscious and easier to use (with the added benefit of no annual gas/oil maintenance); and it's also just a really cool tool! It appears to receive excellent reviews from many hundreds of reviews on multiple websites, so I thought I'd see if anyone here in the wonderful world of C-D has had any personal experience with this particular mower.

I see they also have a blower, trimmer and hedger that all function with the interchangeable battery pack.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkU6hj8Ed0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
Reputation: 12197
It looks pretty good for small yards. Here is a Home Depot link and it specifies 1/4 acre or less: EGO 20 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower-LM2001 - The Home Depot. It is also fairly expensive and I see that some models do not come with the battery and even the more expensive have only one battery. On this Grainger link the battery is listed as $177.50 - also pretty expensive: EGO POWER PLUS Walk Behind Mower,Push,56V,4A - Lawn Mowers - 38ZE17|LM2001 - Grainger Industrial Supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,368 posts, read 3,327,344 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It looks pretty good for small yards. Here is a Home Depot link and it specifies 1/4 acre or less: EGO 20 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower-LM2001 - The Home Depot. It is also fairly expensive and I see that some models do not come with the battery and even the more expensive have only one battery. On this Grainger link the battery is listed as $177.50 - also pretty expensive: EGO POWER PLUS Walk Behind Mower,Push,56V,4A - Lawn Mowers - 38ZE17|LM2001 - Grainger Industrial Supply.
We don't have huge yards. I can usually get both mowed in about 40 minutes. The one listed at HD for $499 does include one (1) battery pack and charger. Additional batteries are about $200. Compared to other similar mowers, this one appears to be the most popular. I like the mobility and storage aspects, as well as the fact that it fully charges in 30 minutes (others take hours). The cost isn't too much of a factor because we paid about that for our current mower 10 years ago.

I'll probably just end up getting it as a birthday gift to myself later in the summer. At this point, not really interested in the other equipment, just the mower. I'd still really love to hear if anyone has any personal experience with this mower (or one very similar)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
Reputation: 12197
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
We don't have huge yards. I can usually get both mowed in about 40 minutes. The one listed at HD for $499 does include one (1) battery pack and charger. Additional batteries are about $200. Compared to other similar mowers, this one appears to be the most popular. I like the mobility and storage aspects, as well as the fact that it fully charges in 30 minutes (others take hours). The cost isn't too much of a factor because we paid about that for our current mower 10 years ago.

I'll probably just end up getting it as a birthday gift to myself later in the summer. At this point, not really interested in the other equipment, just the mower. I'd still really love to hear if anyone has any personal experience with this mower (or one very similar)..
There is Father's Day coming up in just a few weeks. I'm going for just a new string trimmer and video games for the rainy days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM
 
800 posts, read 1,039,022 times
Reputation: 785
i have this mower and EGOs trimmer and blower as well. i just bought a house and have about .3acres to deal with.

note: i have never mowed or used a mower in my life prior to my purchase of the EGO mower so i have nothing to compare to but i did extensive research.

the battery claims are at least through 4 mows so far accurate and last 45-50 minutes which is ample time to mow my lawn, the power doesnt relent and is quiet and easy to use and store; it folds up nicely. i have bagged and mulched with it and both worked great and easy, starting is a matter of pushing a button and its ready to go. my 2 neighbors tried it out and said it was awesome (both have gas mowers). it comes with the 4v battery (about $200 alone) and rapid charger (about $100 alone) which recharges the battery in 30 minutes.

the 15" trimmer comes with the 2v battery (about $100 alone) and standard charger. the 2v can be used in the mower and vice versa. basically all their batteries regardless of voltage work in all their product lines.

i bought the blower WITHOUT the battery (online only at home depot) for $100 and just rotate now the 2 batteries in all 3 machines while the unused battery sits on the rapid charger.

all in all i foresee alot of maintenance free use out of the EGO line and getting by with just 2 batteries. my only hope is they come out with snowblower of comparable and compatible quality before winter so i can be gas free for all my "outside" tools


side note: i dont know why graingers prices linked in the above posts are so high. i bought it direct from home depot for 500 and used one of those lowes 10% off coupons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,368 posts, read 3,327,344 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
i have this mower and EGOs trimmer and blower as well. i just bought a house and have about .3acres to deal with.

note: i have never mowed or used a mower in my life prior to my purchase of the EGO mower so i have nothing to compare to but i did extensive research.

the battery claims are at least through 4 mows so far accurate and last 45-50 minutes which is ample time to mow my lawn, the power doesnt relent and is quiet and easy to use and store; it folds up nicely. i have bagged and mulched with it and both worked great and easy, starting is a matter of pushing a button and its ready to go. my 2 neighbors tried it out and said it was awesome (both have gas mowers). it comes with the 4v battery (about $200 alone) and rapid charger (about $100 alone) which recharges the battery in 30 minutes.

the 15" trimmer comes with the 2v battery (about $100 alone) and standard charger. the 2v can be used in the mower and vice versa. basically all their batteries regardless of voltage work in all their product lines.

i bought the blower WITHOUT the battery (online only at home depot) for $100 and just rotate now the 2 batteries in all 3 machines while the unused battery sits on the rapid charger.

all in all i foresee alot of maintenance free use out of the EGO line and getting by with just 2 batteries. my only hope is they come out with snowblower of comparable and compatible quality before winter so i can be gas free for all my "outside" tools


side note: i dont know why graingers prices linked in the above posts are so high. i bought it direct from home depot for 500 and used one of those lowes 10% off coupons.
Penga, thanks for your post! I'm the type that would absolutely purchase an extra battery pack or two if I were to buy the entire line of products so there's always a battery charged and ready to go (we have multiple battery packs for our long list of Dewalts).

I am happy to hear that it mulches well because I tend to mulch 90% of the time. I only bag 3-4 times per season. The quietness and constant power were what had me immediately interested from the time I saw the video in my original post! Good to hear you experience the same!

Now that you've mentioned the trimmer and blower and how much you like them, it's going to be very difficult for me not to just go for the whole collection! Thanks a lot! Do you use standard trimmer line or do you have to purchase line specific to this trimmer (probably a silly question)? The blower looks pretty self explanatory. I see there's a "turbo" setting which is ALWAYS good.

A snowblower would be AWESOME. We're holding out for something similar because I am so tired of our small gas powered one. It's deafening, though works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
Reputation: 12197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
i bought it direct from home depot for 500 and used one of those lowes 10% off coupons.
I just want to point out that most Home Depot and Lowe's will give veterans the 10% discount. All you have to do is produce your DD 214 form, veteran's or military ID, or (at least in my state) we have our photo driver's license that now shows a flag for veterans. We like discounts and like companies that reward veterans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM
 
800 posts, read 1,039,022 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Penga, thanks for your post! I'm the type that would absolutely purchase an extra battery pack or two if I were to buy the entire line of products so there's always a battery charged and ready to go (we have multiple battery packs for our long list of Dewalts).

I am happy to hear that it mulches well because I tend to mulch 90% of the time. I only bag 3-4 times per season. The quietness and constant power were what had me immediately interested from the time I saw the video in my original post! Good to hear you experience the same!

Now that you've mentioned the trimmer and blower and how much you like them, it's going to be very difficult for me not to just go for the whole collection! Thanks a lot! Do you use standard trimmer line or do you have to purchase line specific to this trimmer (probably a silly question)? The blower looks pretty self explanatory. I see there's a "turbo" setting which is ALWAYS good.

A snowblower would be AWESOME. We're holding out for something similar because I am so tired of our small gas powered one. It's deafening, though works well.

my understanding of the trimmer based on the manual is that any standard spools can be used, or course they sell their own as well at about 10/spool or 18 for the whole spool and bump attachment.

one thing to point out that some reviews on the blower has made unclear, it seems that there are only 3 speeds for the blower, low, high, and turbo but in fact it is variable the entire way from low to high with turbo being a button to switch to anytime regardless of the low/high lever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top