Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Tomatoes wont make it long in there. Note the Bottom Narrows as well. Put 1 plant per pot and see what happens. You can get away with 2 Pepper plants though. I would change the Soil too. Doesn't look that great but could be camera.

Is there 5-7hrs of sun in that spot?

Don't forget... DO NOT PUT GARDEN OR EARTH SOIL IN POTS! Gotta get Potting Soil or Organic Compost. The other will compress, compact, and not drain right.
Actually I exactly want to use normal yard soil. I had a yard of soil left over and had to use it. It would be 27 cu ft of bagged soil costing a lot. I may mix it with compost of something else. Do people mix mulch into the soil?
I don't want to be the rich hippy farmer who grown one tomato on the $200 cost basis. It has to be realistic and economical.

There is sun all day, as it is open to west and east, the fence faces south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:54 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Actually I exactly want to use normal yard soil. I had a yard of soil left over and had to use it. It would be 27 cu ft of bagged soil costing a lot. I may mix it with compost of something else. Do people mix mulch into the soil?
No on the mulch. The dye or chemicals will kill the plant and roots.

No on the extra yard soil left. Sorry. You will crush the roots after a while. Even if mixed with compost.
You can google it and find out more.

All compost is better then even a little yard soil. Sometimes towns offer free compost from the leaves they collect and turn into compost. Or just spend the money now buy the potting soil and benefit from it for years. Great investment.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
So tomatoes require artificial soil? How did people grow tomatoes before 1978 (Home Depot was established)?
If I have to replace soil every year bought it at HD, and throw away 500LB of soil/waste... I think it kind of defeats the purpose. Growing vegetables to: save money, reduce waste (save the environment), get more fresh/ripen veggies (ok, this is still satisfied with shop-bought soil). Part of gardening would be something more sustainable then throwing away 500LB of soil every year. Part of the process would be to revitalize the soil and not throw anything away.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
I see you got after them weeds.

I always recommend a 50/50 mix on native soil and compost for pots whether it be flowers or veggies.

No need to replace soil every year that's silly. You can just easily amend the soil you have with natural and man made fertilizers.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
While I love the look of the concrete or terracotta planters, DH has put his foot down and I can't buy anymore. They are too heavy and I move planters around like some people move furniture. I too use plastic as they are cheap but I don't like anything shiny and I'm particular. I think I have a good combination of all these kinds of planters.

My favorites are the polystyrene.

Guide to Garden Planter Materials
Oh dear lord I wish the wife would stop buying them terra cotta pots. They all have to be made in Italy though which of course are denser and heavier.

I have to keep one of my extra large tree moving handrucks at the house so whenever the spirit moves her.....

What is with women and constantly rearranging. RHETORICAL!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
So tomatoes require artificial soil? How did people grow tomatoes before 1978 (Home Depot was established)
No, compost is organic. Very natural. Before 1978 most likely They didn't grow tomatoes in pots with earth soil in them or maybe they never did well anyway..

Like I said, Google it or try it. One important thing I don't know is how your ground soil is. If it's clay, forget it. If its sand or loam just mix with compost and see how it does.

And the potting soil they sell is "dirt", its just got fertilizer and organic material in them to help with the drainage. Not artificial.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
So tomatoes require artificial soil? How did people grow tomatoes before 1978 (Home Depot was established)?
If I have to replace soil every year bought it at HD, and throw away 500LB of soil/waste... I think it kind of defeats the purpose. Growing vegetables to: save money, reduce waste (save the environment), get more fresh/ripen veggies (ok, this is still satisfied with shop-bought soil). Part of gardening would be something more sustainable then throwing away 500LB of soil every year. Part of the process would be to revitalize the soil and not throw anything away.
I am doing the same as Bulldogdad suggests: I did put the money into the soil this year: yes, it was pricey, but I will continue to use the same soil every year with adding a little here and there. As for saving money, that part may or may not be true, but the quality and convenience of what you grow is what draws most of us to home garndens. The other things are important as well.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:47 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
The problem I've faced (and others I know) with using compost and "normal yard soil" in containers is that it compacts like concrete in a week, ESPECIALLY if you have clay soil, which is highly effective at reducing drainage and not allowing the roots the space they need to grow and strengthen. Potting mix (perhaps mixed with good compost), organic or not, is the best option for containers. I wouldn't recommend using 100% compost, either, as it will become a sopping, compacted mess quickly. Also, remember that containers are an enclosed environment with no access to the nutrients in the ground, so it will be up to you to maintain a healthy growing environment within the soil. Consistent watering will deplete the nutrients in your growing medium through drainage rather quickly, especially once the plants get large and begin producing, so be sure you're giving your plants the food they need on a regular basis.

Bagged soils from the store are not always the cheapest, but keep in mind that you can leave the soil in the containers for many years without needing to replace it - 8-10 years is about average. Purchasing a bag per season to "refresh" would be good. All of the information out on the web recommends using a good potting mix for containers, so I don't know why you wouldn't just go that route. If you're that opposed, just plant in the ground. Why go through the trouble of shoveling your yard into containers? Obviously, you're more than welcome to do what you wish, but the poor decision to simply use your yard soil will become apparent within a few days. You will not be happy. Again, you're dealing with containers and not in-ground - these are two completely different ways of growing and you will need to make adjustments accordingly.

Getting started with a garden is an investment in both time and money, large or small, and it's worth it to continue gathering information to make the best decision for your situation. Once the money side of the investment is complete (i.e. your garden is assembled), gardening will become less of an annual expense. I wouldn't necessarily say it will save you money in the long run unless you're fortunate enough to live in an area where you can grow enough food year-round without having to water or feed your plants. A tomato in the store is maybe $.50, but one you grow at home would be FAR more expensive if you actually factored in the cost of water, labor, materials, etc. Do it for the fun of it, not because you think it will save you money. You might be awfully disappointed in the end if that's the goal..

Enjoy it! Gardening is great fun and there is SO much to learn about all the different ways people garden! We all have our own way and we all love to share what we do. Take bits and pieces from what everyone tells you and formulate your own action plan! Share it with us once you get it all done!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
im sorry I am also one of those women who moves planters more often than furniture but I do that while the husband is at work so he does nothing after he gets home ....sorry to the man who said he has to keep a handtruck at home while his wife decides where she wants everything and then moves it again ..You see I think when I see something that looks better somewhere else then it is getting moved it is just the way it is . OP that soil in those pots does not look good and will not give the proper moisture your plants will need ...go to home depot and get some soil aka potting mix and for god sake get your some 5 gal buckets and use those instead of those pots you have it will work much better .

Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
The problem I've faced (and others I know) with using compost and "normal yard soil" in containers is that it compacts like concrete in a week, ESPECIALLY if you have clay soil, which is highly effective at reducing drainage and not allowing the roots the space they need to grow and strengthen. Potting mix (perhaps mixed with good compost), organic or not, is the best option for containers.
Yup.. the point I was trying to make too. Good advice. But I'm sure I read it somewhere myself and still did it. We all learn more from experience rather than reading sometimes.

One time I put an Oak seedling in a pot and filled it with dirt that was nearby. I figured, small pot, just fill it temporary with yard soil. I remember after short time, even with a little water, seeing the water puddle up at the top instead of draining down in the pot. One point I forgot what soil was in there and couldn't figure out why it wasn't draining.. Then it dawned on me. Goodbye Oak seedling. lol I knew it too, that was just a lazy thing. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden