U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:35 PM

58 posts, read 44,596 times

Advertisements

the darn critters shook down the bird feeder again. I like the squirrels ok it would like some seed for the birds, sigh. I'll see about trying some of these suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A Wrist Rocket slingshot might be just the thing:

Amazon.com : Trumark Slingshots Normal Pull Slingshot : Sports & Outdoors

Perhaps with some marbles, or if you want to go biodegradable, maybe some chestnuts or something as the ammo.
sorry will not be trying this, don't want to harm the squirrels.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM

so the Vaseline on the bird feeder worked the best. It was kind of amusing seeing the squirrels on the ground eating up what the birds drop. and what I like is it doesn't hurt the squirrels any.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,261,363 times
Silly people....you can't keep squirrels out of a bird feeder!!!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,690,504 times
Mr. CSD's Father fought that battle for more than 40 years and never won.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,028,485 times
After years of being frustrated by squirrels eating all my bird seed from my feeders, I have F I N A L L Y found a squirrel proof feeder that actually works. No, I do NOT work for the company that makes them. I found this one on Amazon...it got many highly rated reviews, but I was still skeptical.

The feeder was ridiculously expensive (well, I thought so anyway...I got the version that was about $80). When it arrived, I saved the shipping box, ready to return it the minute the squirrels defeated it. I got it in June, and it absolutely works. At first, the squirrels were all over it. They tried everything. They bit the metal, they scratched it, they did all sorts of acrobatics trying to open it. Nope. They failed. I am so happy.

Yes, the feeder was expensive, but so is birdseed if it is just going into a squirrel. This feeder will probably last me for many years. As I type this, I am looking out my window, watching woodpeckers and cardinals and purple finches feasting on the feed. So, if you are frustrated with squirrels stealing your bird's food, I recommend this feeder. ( Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster Plus)

Old 07-27-2015, 07:45 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,821,385 times
Interesting! I have a similar one but the squirrels have learned to hang upside down to get the seed thus avoiding the weight-sensitive part.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,278 times
Hey! Don't worry I'll help you out..!! How about i give you a website that'll help you in catching this rodent and help you make delicious delicacy !! Trust me Its Awe- wait for it- some .. AWESOME
Visit:Squirrel Guide

Old 09-13-2015, 12:56 PM

138 posts, read 184,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
My feeder may not look the best but it is Squirrel proof. I sunk a 2x4 in the ground and set a large clay pot on top of it upside down. I nailed 2 smaller pieces of 2x4 to the Top of the board so the pot had something to set on. I set a plate of food on the pot. The Squirrels can climb up the board but can't get a grip on the slick clay pot. i ended up putting a wire cage around the pot to keep out the doves. Bluejays and smaller can get through the green coated wire but Doves and larger birds are out of luck.
I like Tibbar's setup . Watching squirrels slide down a Vaseline-coated pole is entertaining for awhile but you have to keep re-coating it because they will slide down until their fur wipes enough off that they can get traction and make it all the way up. I don't know about you, but I want less work, not more. I tried many methods and products. My bird feeders are all hung from tree branches, though, and the relentless, crafty little turdy squirrels always found a way to get the bird seed until I did 3 things: 1) I put a squirrel baffle over the top of the bird feeder (about $13 at Lowe's, but you could make your own); then I hung the bird feeder from the limb with long chain (they can't chew through); and finally, make sure the bird feeder does not hang near a limb that the squirrel can jump from, unless they will land on the squirrel baffle, in which case they will just slide off (which is also enjoyable to watch).

Old 09-13-2015, 01:13 PM

16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times
The more you feed; the more problems you create. Nature abhors a vacuum. When food is abundant; animals multiply. Yes; you might thwart the squirrels this time; but sooner or later you will fail. With higher squirrel populations there is a greater chance of success + squirrels are active every day all year long. You can spill food, the birds can knock down food, bears, raccoons, opossums, or deer might damage the feeder. In the end the squirrels will win.

Squirrels don't understand that these peanuts are for them; but they cannot have the bird seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden