Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM

58 posts, read 57,821 times

Advertisements

any suggestions on flowers, perennials please that grow well in sandy soil and in a somewhat shady yard? I'm in Fla if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,644 times
Hostas, ferns, Bee balm, bulbs, Solomans Seal, Forget me nots, Lamium, Pachysandra Astilbe, Poppy, Creeping Jenny, Lupine, jack in the pulpit, trillium, Shasta Daisy, Black eyed Susan & Lady's Mantle are all perennials that grow well in my sandy shaded yard....As for annuals, my tried and true choice is wax begonia!!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM

is there anything that blooms at lot, love my flowers, but not having luck with the soil.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
every successful gardener I know in Florida admits to heavily amending the soil with compost and good quality top soil.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I'm not in Florida, but I'd recommend trying some native plants. Here is one blog by a Florida master gardener that I've enjoyed reading. She recently moved to a new garden, but her old shady garden is featured in most of the posts. I'd recommend reading it and making note of plants you would like to try. She also seems to respond to questions in the comments:
Hoe and Shovel: Designing with Florida Natives and Florida-Friendly Plants

Some info:
Florida's Soils and Growing Zones

If you are in a tropical part of Florida, I'd recommend edibles like soursop, mango and avocado if you have space. These bear delicious fruit, have pretty foliage and grow well in soil that is well-drained even sandy.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:17 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzyzekes View Post
is there anything that blooms at lot, love my flowers, but not having luck with the soil.
I lived in Southern Florida for several years. Had great luck with portulaca (common name: moss rose). It blooms constantly, can take extreme heat, and does well in sandy soil. Plus it reseeds. I combined mine with coleus in my flowerbeds and got lots of compliments on how pretty it looked.

Portulaca

Old 06-06-2015, 03:32 PM

I'll have to check out the link and the moss roses. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2015, 05:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
I live on the coast in northern California and will second the moss roses, they survive heat, cold, wet and dry as long as the medium they grow in is fast draining gravelly or sandy soil. There are also the smaller purslanes, plus sedums, echeverias and other succulents. There is also a wonderful sand verbena and some yarrows that thrive in sandy soil.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:30 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
kazzy,
You can plant in the ground, or raised beds, or pots.
In ground, composted cow manure, tons of it, and mulch. Tons of mulch. Don't even plant anything
in sandy soil without cow manure and mulch.
You have shade, which I would suggest, gardenia, they also have a spreading gardenia radicans, daphne,
native rhododendrums, yea,there are native rhodos in Florida, ask at any good private nursery, depending on where you are in Florida, depends on what plants you can plant really. Look up Curcuma online, they are gorgeous and spread.
The nurseries where you are probably have them. Anything that requires excellent drainage, which is alot of plants and shrubs, will thrive in sandy soil. Dahlias do quite good, and get big. Even some roses will do fine in sandy soil when its built up with lots of cow compost and mulch.
Cow manure and Mulch. You have to buy it every year.
Or pots.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times
Sea Thrift is my most favorite flower ever. It does well in sand and provided color all season long when I grew it in Ohio.

I started using Mushroom Compost from Lowes this year and highly recommend it if you want to amend your soil. Everything it touched immediately took off and became dark green and full within 1 day, everything is still thriving 2 months later.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden