Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM

837 posts, read 760,023 times

Advertisements

I have a row of them, and have notices that they tend to stop flowering when they get lots of seed pods forming at once . . . usually until after those pods are all dried & have dispersed their seeds.

We have both Hummingbirds & Orioles vying for their flower nectar during nesting season,
so I'd like to keep them in flower-production-mode, if that is at all possible.

About a week ago I removed a lot of semi-developed seed pods from them, but, I still see no new flower buds forming . . . although the following article makes the claim that "the more the plant is pruned, the more the plant will bloom":

"The Desert Bird-of-Paradise"
- Caesalpinia gilliesie
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...rd-of-paradise
(Riverside Gardening | Examiner.com)

Mine are on a slight incline, in heavy clay soil, with Freeway Ice Plant growing around their feet . . .
I prune them up into small trees, instead of sprawling bushes).

Does anyone any experience trying different methods of keeping this plant in flower most if not all of the time? I'm thinking that if I had been removing the dead flowers & their individual stems may have had the desired effect. (I removed seed pods after they had begun various stages of development, and flowering had slowed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,866,159 times
deadheading every flowering plant help produce more flowers. If a plant is putting energy into making seed it will definitely reduce flower production. A week is barely enough time to expect any results. Be patient.

from your own link

"Care and maintenance of Caesalpinia gilliesii is very similar to the care and maintenance of Roses in that the more the plant is pruned the more the plant will bloom"

Old 06-06-2015, 06:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,582,852 times
Kudzu is right, but if you want the plant to spread, do leave a few dead heads on so the seeds will dry up and disperse.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Kudzu is right, but if you want the plant to spread, do leave a few dead heads on so the seeds will dry up and disperse.
I did leave a few seed pods intact . . . some of the older ones.

Those are for others who want them, as I already have about 10 or more of them, all having started from seeds sprouted in this yard.

Good suggestion, though!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
deadheading every flowering plant help produce more flowers. If a plant is putting energy into making seed it will definitely reduce flower production. A week is barely enough time to expect any results. Be patient.

from your own link

"Care and maintenance of Caesalpinia gilliesii is very similar to the care and maintenance of Roses in that the more the plant is pruned the more the plant will bloom"
I'm already seeing a little new growth, and a little of looks like tiny flower buds.

I think I'll deadhead every time I wander out to fill the birdbath under them, to try to avoid any pause in flower production. I just took several more teensy new pods off of them today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden