U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,656 posts, read 8,196,453 times

Advertisements

So I've got an avocado seed sitting in some water waiting to root. I was wondering what the best course of action is to get it growing to full height? Is it simply a case of plant it in the ground once it gets too big to e kept inside? Do they prefer certain soil types and do they require any special nutrients? I live in London which is zone 9a/b.

Do all avocado trees bear fruit, or just the female ones?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,269,960 times
I've tried growing avocado 2 or three times. They typically grow for about 1 or 2 years before I do something that kills them. The last one I left outside when the temperature got close to freezing and it killed the plant. Zone 8 requirement I believe.

I've read that it takes more than 7 years to bear fruit. Not sure about the gender.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,403,787 times
I believe one needs two so that they pollinate each other, they can be grafted together, but they will not produce if not given enough heat for a long enough time. In far northern California on the coast I have had them make it for about five years outside before a freeze gets them. I grew up in the Central Valley about 40 miles east of San Francisco and a neighbor had an avocado tree with three different cultivars grafted on to it, it bloomed and fruited, but not every year. I had a friend in Oakland that had a fairly large avocado in his back yard, but it never fruited. Did you remember to put the seed in the water with the point up?

Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 AM

16,254 posts, read 28,033,285 times
One tree means no fruit. You need to have two trees. Around here they grow like weeds, or so it would seem from everyone that has them. Imagine my surprise when I saw avocados selling in the store. Who buys them? I could see that people may want to buy them in other areas. Everyone here brings bags of them into work to get rid of them.

By the way, I have never heard of male or female trees. How do you tell them apart?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,815,433 times
I live and work in the land of Avocado trees, Citrus trees, persimmon trees and loquat. That's just in people's residential yards. You don't need trees in the same yard but with in the pollination circuit of the local bee population.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 AM

9,780 posts, read 10,313,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Do all avocado trees bear fruit, or just the female ones?
A moot issue as far as you are concerned. Give it another five or so years though. They are growing Olives in the UK now. Avocado are just that bit more tropical and need warmth for a more consistently longer period than Olives. But the UK is getting there.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
A moot issue as far as you are concerned. Give it another five or so years though. They are growing Olives in the UK now. Avocado are just that bit more tropical and need warmth for a more consistently longer period than Olives. But the UK is getting there.
Avocado trees once they are big enough can be left outside unprotected as the coldest winter nights in London rarely even reach 25f. In warm summers they have fruited before, but I wasn't sure if the people had a male and female tree or if they self pollinate.

It's not surprising that olives can be grown in southern England, seeing as the summers are quite dry and the winters are not cold enough to do any damage.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Did you remember to put the seed in the water with the point up?
Yep! The pointy end is up. Should take 2-4 weeks to root from what I've heard, and then it's a fairly fast growing plant.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,403,787 times
I was around five when I started my first one of many. If placed in a sunny window, the shoot can be up in less then a week and any algae that grows in the jar helps feed the young plant. Once it is past 1 foot tall it can be potted up in potting soil and will wilt till it adjusts to using its roots to draw water from soil and not straight from water. I have kept an avocado going in water for as long as six months, but by then the seed had fallen apart and the roots had overtaken the jar. You can also just put the seed in a pot of soil and let it start that way, I have them come up in my compost pile all the time from the pits I toss out.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM

24,576 posts, read 31,998,786 times
Avocados are grafted trees, so it might be unusual to get good fruit from a tree grown from seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or