U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM

46 posts, read 40,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Did you just kind of figure it out as you went along, or did you draw up plans for it first?
I had some sketches, based on photos found on Pinterest. I searched for "potting bench" and then compared designs. Then my wife chose her favorite two. I decided on a whim to make it 6 ft. wide, and she chose 27 inches as the work surface height. From there, lots of measuring before joining things together led to more straight and level angles than I imagined.

And I am a firm believer in pre-drilling holes before screwing things together, now. I had almost no splitting of lumber after tightening screws.

Quote:
I can do very very very simple shelves but have not yet had time to take a woodworking class in order to learn more skills. Soon!!
I'd like to take some classes, too. Seems like I need a table saw, router and miter saw before I go that route, though. YouTube has great classes you can watch.

Like this one: How-To Make a Potting Bench By Ana White & RYOBI Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRzbfbZkOyA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM

7,734 posts, read 13,640,778 times
I love Ana White! Home Depot had a Do-It-Herself workshop to build a rolling cart -- I REALLY wanted to go to it but couldn't fit it into my schedule. It's this one: Ana White | Build a Home Depot DIH Workshop Rolling Storage Cart | Free and Easy DIY Project and Furniture Plans .

I can take woodworking classes for free at my college, but they are very involved of course and I haven't been able to fit THEM in my schedule either! But OP, I am SO impressed with what you did!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
But OP, I am SO impressed with what you did!
Thank you

Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM

I see my photo link died from the original post, so here it is again.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 PM

7,734 posts, read 13,640,778 times
OP, thanks for re-posting the photo! Did your wife end up painting it? Have you done other projects for the garden?

Alas, I'm still at the making-shelves-for-the-garage-and-basement stage! Your photo makes it look fairly straightforward, though -- not easy, but straightforward. Hmmm ...

Old 04-28-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
OP, thanks for re-posting the photo! Did your wife end up painting it? Have you done other projects for the garden?
You're welcome... and no, it still isn't painted. We might look into that after I re-hang the doors and tweak a few things. I've learned a lot since I built it, hammering away on other things. The closest thing I did to a garden project was building a box to save dirt from our container garden over the Winter.

Quote:
Alas, I'm still at the making-shelves-for-the-garage-and-basement stage! Your photo makes it look fairly straightforward, though -- not easy, but straightforward. Hmmm ...
I just made myself a set of garage shelves. I still need to fill them in an orderly fashion.

If I did it, you could build one for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or