U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 12:28 PM

361 posts, read 309,500 times

Advertisements

If you are buying it for a toy I suppose you should get the John Deere. It certainly looks the best and you get to say "I own a JD, damn it, big time stuff! "

On the other hand I'm really cheap, so I vote for the $1200 one at Sears. My current one was that price, 24HP B&S, hydrostatic, and a nice cup holder . Supposedly its a Husqvarna painted red. But I recall a lot of lawn tractors labeled Husqvarna are made by AYP, including some JD models. I know MTD a big producer also.

Anyway, we give this machine no respect, just change oil, filter, etc. once a year. Its got 400+ hours on it and it runs fine. We are into its eighth season.

I have no reason to think it won't last 10 seasons, so at a $120.00 a year that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
If you are buying it for a toy I suppose you should get the John Deere. It certainly looks the best and you get to say "I own a JD, damn it, big time stuff! "

On the other hand I'm really cheap, so I vote for the $1200 one at Sears. My current one was that price, 24HP B&S, hydrostatic, and a nice cup holder . Supposedly its a Husqvarna painted red. But I recall a lot of lawn tractors labeled Husqvarna are made by AYP, including some JD models. I know MTD a big producer also.

Anyway, we give this machine no respect, just change oil, filter, etc. once a year. Its got 400+ hours on it and it runs fine. We are into its eighth season.

I have no reason to think it won't last 10 seasons, so at a $120.00 a year that's fine.
AYP does NOT make any JD tractors ! See article below.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,801 Thanks
  • 4,530 posts
Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:32 AM
This is a very touchy subject for a lot of Deere collectors so to clear things up i will post a link and a quote someone from MTF :

''Deere makes their own tractors, ALL of them from big to little. Deere has factories all over the world. They do buy components from outside sources like bearings, engines, tires, lights, wire, belts, etc. Some attachments for lawn and garden tractors are made by outside firms like Beromac for snowblowers. Murray made Deere walk behind snowblowers and before them, Ariens made them. Deere's walk behind blowers are now branded Frontier, not Deere and they are made by somebody, I'm not sure exactly who since Murray is no more. Deere's plant in Tennessee was built to access cheaper non-union labor, to be able to build machines that would compete with Sears, Walmart, etc on price. I think the source of confusion is that MTD also builds in Tennessee (for the same lower cost labor). Tennessee is a right to work state that favors non-union factories. MTD offers someone like Toro an opertunity to access the economy of mass production in making lawn and garden tractors. MTD builds machines under many different brands like Bolens, White, MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt and others and now Toro. Certain components are common to all saving tooling costs, but other parts are up graded as required to meet varying specifications like bearings vs. bushings. It cost a big PILE of money to make the tooling to stamp out fender decks and mower decks, so it makes economic sense to maximize that tooling's use. Different engines can be fitted onto a common platform, different bearings used, accessories like tachs, comfy seats, lights, can separate MTD's offerings much like a Caddy Escalade is distinct from a Chevy SUV, or a Lincoln SUV is different from a Ford Excursion. Tor's line of lawn and garden equipment is just a small piece of their total product line, Thye make a LOT of pro turf equipment for golf courses, parks and also irrigation equipment. They didn't want to invest the money to build new stuff from scratch to try to compete with Deere and MTD that could be sold at the box stores' price levels, so they made a deal with MTD to build 'em. I hope that clears up a little of the confusion about who builds what. ''

And a curse on you for saying so

Old 06-17-2015, 02:48 PM

5,465 posts, read 4,519,375 times
I'd vote a John Deere with the Kawasaki Vtwin. That's what a lot of the commercial Zturns use.

I had a Cub Cadet LT1042 from one of the big box stores for about 4 years before it came apart. It still looked like brand new and just broke 100 hrs when it let go. I did a full tune up each spring, washed it after each cut, and kept it in the garage. 3rd year, I started having issues with the pulley bolts on the deck snapping. I slung a pulley through the neighbor's car door once. I replaced all with grade 8 hardware and had no more issues with pulleys. I was cutting the neighbor's grass when the bolt that holds the electric PTO to the crankshaft sheared off (was a common problem according to the CC dealer) and allowed it to spin around and rip the harness out of the PTO. It was going to cost almost $500 to repair. With the age, I junked it and went with a Husqvarna (which I do NOT recommend).

If you have the money.... Hustler now offers a Raptor series residential 52" zero turn with the commercial deck for around $4k. Would work well for an acre yard.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 46,935,233 times
Couple of outside the box alternatives - get a small antique "real" tractor like a Farmall Cub. IH dealers have parts, these are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. You can't wear it out. Change oil once a year, maybe plugs and points occasionally, they soldier on. John Deere, Ford, etc. all built such in the 50's and 60's.

Other idea is a BCS "Walk Behind" "tractor" which you can get all sorts of accessories for. Fairly big money when bought new. But you have one "tractor" unit to which you can attach tillers, mowers, snow blowers, etc. A very good set of tools to allow you to take advantage of your small acreage.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 AM

361 posts, read 309,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
AYP does NOT make any JD tractors ! See article below.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,801 Thanks
  • 4,530 posts
Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:32 AM
This is a very touchy subject for a lot of Deere collectors so to clear things up i will post a link and a quote someone from MTF :

''Deere makes their own tractors, ALL of them from big to little. Deere has factories all over the world. They do buy components from outside sources like bearings, engines, tires, lights, wire, belts, etc. Some attachments for lawn and garden tractors are made by outside firms like Beromac for snowblowers. Murray made Deere walk behind snowblowers and before them, Ariens made them. Deere's walk behind blowers are now branded Frontier, not Deere and they are made by somebody, I'm not sure exactly who since Murray is no more. Deere's plant in Tennessee was built to access cheaper non-union labor, to be able to build machines that would compete with Sears, Walmart, etc on price. I think the source of confusion is that MTD also builds in Tennessee (for the same lower cost labor). Tennessee is a right to work state that favors non-union factories. MTD offers someone like Toro an opertunity to access the economy of mass production in making lawn and garden tractors. MTD builds machines under many different brands like Bolens, White, MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt and others and now Toro. Certain components are common to all saving tooling costs, but other parts are up graded as required to meet varying specifications like bearings vs. bushings. It cost a big PILE of money to make the tooling to stamp out fender decks and mower decks, so it makes economic sense to maximize that tooling's use. Different engines can be fitted onto a common platform, different bearings used, accessories like tachs, comfy seats, lights, can separate MTD's offerings much like a Caddy Escalade is distinct from a Chevy SUV, or a Lincoln SUV is different from a Ford Excursion. Tor's line of lawn and garden equipment is just a small piece of their total product line, Thye make a LOT of pro turf equipment for golf courses, parks and also irrigation equipment. They didn't want to invest the money to build new stuff from scratch to try to compete with Deere and MTD that could be sold at the box stores' price levels, so they made a deal with MTD to build 'em. I hope that clears up a little of the confusion about who builds what. ''

And a curse on you for saying so

Thanks for setting me straight. You probably saved me from getting a punch in the nose in front of the "One Cylinder Tractor and Hit and Miss Engine" display at the fair this summer.

Have a nice weekend.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Thanks for setting me straight. You probably saved me from getting a punch in the nose in front of the "One Cylinder Tractor and Hit and Miss Engine" display at the fair this summer.

Have a nice weekend.
That's funny, you're welcome !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or