U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM

46 posts, read 103,990 times

Advertisements

Last year, I had natural gas installed in my home.

They asked me where I wanted it, and for convenience sake, I had them run it in the front so that it would be easily accessible by my plumber.

They ended up trenching straight up my lawn. I didn't really think about it at the time, but when I saw where they trenched, it seemed really, really close to my tree.

Based on the drip line, I'd say the trench severed close to 40% of the tree's root structure.

The tree looks okay this year, and I can definitely tell that the remaining roots are compensating just by how the grass grows so poorly there. But I am concerned about the long-term health.

Is there anything I can do at this point?

For the record, I'm kicking myself for not putting the meter on the side as I had originally planned. That would have also prevented the gas meter eye sore on the front of my house. But what's done is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my sugar maple tree going to die?-20140711_113012.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:59 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,815,433 times
I'm sure it will be fine. You could call an arborist if your really concerned. A deep root watering and fertilizing treatment might be in order.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 AM

72,949 posts, read 56,146,582 times
I wouldn't say that's 40% of the root system. If it were closer to the tree I would or a half circle around

If the tree came back obviously it survived the attack. I wonder if the new roots (current and future) will interfere with the gas lines.

I was going to say If you're still concerned, then just plant a new Sugar Maple.. but looks like it might not get much sun there. Maybe plant it somewhere else?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:42 AM

35,140 posts, read 44,957,937 times
That tree is going to have roots going every which way. My neighbor has one and there are roots from it 40 feet away.

The severed roots would have put out rootlets from the cut ends to compensate, it should be okay.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

2,143 posts, read 5,685,411 times
The lot next to me has the same tree, even bigger compared to your pic. A new house is being built right now and a few months ago, they removed the roots to one side of the tree completely, right up to the trunk, to put in the driveway. I saw the excavator ripped the big roots out of the ground. It was dormant when it was done and now that it's summer, the tree looks as healthy as before. I just wonder how well the tree will fare in storms now that it only has deep roots on 1 side only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or