U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM

9,091 posts, read 9,665,743 times

Advertisements

Yes I'm in Cary. No, not all the houses are beige. The row of houses 1 street over from me are all different colors (blue, green, yellow, white, salmon).
No HOA.
Yes I spoke to my landscaper about deer & rabbits.
My back yard is completely fenced; deer can't come in; that's where the hostas are.
Yes I have a detailed plan with all the plant names (see first post in this thread for the list) and I know exactly where each plant type is located.

We are due to get rain over the weekend and into next week as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 AM

6,349 posts, read 7,296,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
.... deer can't come in

We are due to get rain over the weekend and into next week as well.
Bwahhhhhhaaaaaaa.........."Deer Can't Come in!" How about walking in through the wide open front yard, or unless the fence is at least 12 feet tall, they can just jump right over it! Get yourself some Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent...a gallon runs about $80.00 and when diluted, will last through the season. Use a pump sprayer to apply it every few days. In this hot weather, when the deer are looking for things more succulent that dry grass, they will clean you out if you don't protect your plantings. Hostas are like chocolate.

Water. Water. Water. Every day. Twice a day to start. Once September/October rolls around and it starts to cool off, go to a couple of time each week. Then once a week until the ground hardens over for winter.

Deer repellent and water are cheap expenses to protect your multi thousand $$$ investment. Don't hesitate to use a LOT of both.

(Just busting you about the deer....but it IS a serious problem. Don't get lulled into thinking you are safe. Ever.)

Nice looking property. When the plants fill in....use a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote to keep them strong....it will really be stunning.

PS...just looked more closely at your plantings. Are u at all handy? For about $500 you can install a drip irrigation system--the main lines will be hidden under the mulch, and you can put a drip nozzle at each plant. Will save you a LOT of effort, and water expesne, and your plants will love it.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
I'm pretty sure the OP is well aware of the damage deer can do.It comes up in every conversation no matter who or where. Around here a 7ft deer fence is plenty high and I live beside a hundred year old deer path and a whole herd passes by twice a day to and from the farmers' field. I've seen a few wistfully looking through the fence at my lush garden but nobody has tried to jump it.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Y'all are assuming my house is the only house around and the 4 hostas are the only food source any deer could find, and their desire for my 4 little hostas is so great they will jump my 8ft fence just to get at those very hostas, versus, you know, finding easier pickings in yards around me that are not fenced at all and have more lush gardens.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 AM

8,836 posts, read 11,722,218 times
Depending upon the severity of the winter and the position of the house relative to the wind you may need to protect the encore with burlap screens. I had azaleas for over 25 years and never had a problem in my old home. This past winter my first with the new house landscaping, the winter was not kind to the encores. I didn't lose them but they did suffer wind damage. I already have the burlap for this year.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM

My azaleas are in a protected area. However, my neighbor planted azaleas many years ago along the strip that is between our 2 driveways and is not protected from the weather and those have done fine for the 9 years I've lived in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden